Class 3 Front Range 13ers?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
skik2000
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 12 3
Trip Reports (0)

Class 3 Front Range 13ers?

Post by skik2000 »

I'm thinking of doing the Kelso Ridge this weekend but am not dead set on it. What are some similar routes on 13ers in the Front Range?
KState14er
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 7 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Class 3 Front Range 13ers?

Post by KState14er »

West ridge of Quandary is another option. I have heard the rock is pretty crumbly, though.

There is a fun alternative route on Bierstadt over its east ridge. You can go up and back the same way, descend the northeast slopes near the Sawtooth, or circle through to the Sawtooth and hit Evans on your way back to your car (parked on the Evans road).

There's a difficult Class 2 on Democrat (not Front Range), but I know nothing about it.

Kelso is one of my favorite routes in the front range. Lots of fun. Mellow for the most part, nice finish with some spice on the mini knife edge. Good solid rock and simple pitches. Great views.
wondering_hough
14ers: 40  3 
13ers: 57 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by wondering_hough »

Mt Audubon has a sporty class three route
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know.
René Daumal
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

If you're generous with the definition of "Front Range", there's the east ridge of Father Dyer, south of Breckenridge. Distance and elevation gain is very similar to Kelso, with perhaps somewhat easier climbing. And like Kelso, you can continue on to another summit (or two).
http://www.13ers.com/routemain.php?rout ... 8101500053" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

Not necessarily front range but a few ideas:

Citadel (normal route from Herman Lake)

Pettingell - East Ridge

Pacific - West Ridge

Mount Helen / Father Dyer / Crystal:

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... ki=Include" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bowman
14ers: 42 
13ers: 73
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bowman »

1. Citadel to Hagar is fun, and about the same difficulty level as Kelso Ridge, I think (adding Pettingell would make this Class 4).

2. Apache-Navajo traverse is around Class 3-4. Navajo via Airplane Gully is Class 3.

3. North Arapahoe. I can't remember if Roach lists this as Class 3 or 4, but it's an easy Class 4 if the latter.

4. Lenawee from A-Basin is probably Class 2+ to Class 3.

I'm not sure what the conditions on any of these routes are right now.
flyingmagpie
14ers: 56 
13ers: 54
Trip Reports (23)

Post by flyingmagpie »

skik2000--
I wouldn't recommend anything in RMNP on a weekend. Weekdays are always best there, fewer people. That said, two of my favorite climbs in the Park are both in upper Glacier Gorge. Long approach, but the backside view of Longs, and Keyboard of the Winds, and Spearhead right there, and some terrific waterfalls make the approach worthwhile. The first is Pagoda. The second is McHenry's through Stoneman Pass. They are both worthwhile because of the views. If you haven't gone beyone Black Lake yet, you've got to do it. Both of these routes are fun scrambles, with just the right amount of danger to keep things interesting. Can there be a more beautiful place in Colorado than upper Glacier Gorge? The view was featured on the Colorado quarter. But that was only part of the view!
"I've found the truest paths always lead through mountains."

--Kate Wolf, "An Unfinished Life"
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

Arapahoe traverse was pretty fun and very scenic, 3 13ers in a short day if you add on Old Baldy. Audubon's southeast ridge was nice and scenic, but mostly class 2 up to the notch. You can make it more interesting depending on how you gain the ridge (from Mitchell Lake there's talus, some loose, and some class 3 and + lines).

Pagoda was ok but mostly a gully, expect that to be a snow climb about now. Unique view of Longs.

A scenic class 2 ridge walk to a 13er is Storm Peak north ridge from Glacier Gorge trailhead. Go up Half Mtn's north side and then take the ridge up along the east rim of Glacier Gorge. Spectacular views of the gorge and north face of Longs.

If you don't mind a 12er, I really enjoyed Static Peak's east ridge (peak next to Ricthofen) - one of my all time favorites - fun knife edge and more exposed than Kelso. That likely still has a lot of snow in the basin right now.

And although it's only a 10er, Lookout Mtn in RMNP Wild Basin (at the east end) has a very fun southeast ridge (there's a route description on summitpost) that has a similar feel to Kelso with the various class 3 buttresses/sections mixed in with class 2, plus you can choose your line of difficulty anywhere from class 2 to 5. No knife edge but there's a really cool overhanging rock tower and a tricky class 4 summit block. Another of my favorites and you won't see anyone up there.
Danny504
14ers: 7 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Danny504 »

No recommendations from me though the ones provided above are pretty solid. I'm doing Kelso tomorrow AM with 2 friends, should be there around 0500. If interested PM me and we'll meet up to do it together.
fahixson
14ers: 57 
13ers: 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by fahixson »

I worked up a spreadsheet a couple years ago using Lists of John to find the closest 200 peaks > 12,000 that I hadn't already hiked. Then sifted through to look for Class 3ish routes that I could potentially do while kids are at day care/baby sitter. Unfortunately, haven't made a lot of progress on the list, but I think it's useful. For the 30 or so peaks I thought were doable as a quick day trip (including most of the ones already mentioned), I gathered some route info from various sources (13ers.com, SP, Roach IPW Guide, etc.). Figure I might as well share, maybe someone can get more use and make it better ...
LOJ Wish List
bdrumm06
14ers: 13 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bdrumm06 »

I know Ur lookin for 13 ers but come August longs loft route with hitting meeker is amazing. Don't see anyone till the top. Quite a good experience on a busy mountain!