Dallas Peak and/or Vestal basin conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Stone_man
14ers: 58  11 
13ers: 102
Trip Reports (1)

Dallas Peak and/or Vestal basin conditions

Post by Stone_man »

Anybody made recent attempts on these peaks, or have any recent pics/updates about the areas? Am mainly wondering about snow coverage, i.e. how much and on what aspects. Any info. would be appreciated!
doggler
14ers: 57  8 
13ers: 162 7
Trip Reports (25)

Re: Dallas Peak and/or Vestal basin conditions

Post by doggler »

I have heard that the A-V-W-T-E loop was run a little over a week ago. I would assume that if someone in trail runners could complete it then, it's good to go for hikers now.
Brian C
14ers: 45  5 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (25)

Post by Brian C »

Joe! Want a partner?
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth
geojed
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138 13
Trip Reports (29)

Post by geojed »

I'm climbing Dallas on 7/5. But that may be too late if you're planning on doing it sooner.
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
JosephG
14ers: 58  9 
13ers: 171
Trip Reports (9)

Post by JosephG »

I've got a distant picture of Vestal and the Trinities from the east from a week ago. Looked pretty dry up high.
I'll look for the pic tonight, but, again, it's from a distance.

Edit: Not the best of images.
Distant Vestal et al..jpg
Distant Vestal et al..jpg (197.04 KiB) Viewed 601 times
Last edited by JosephG on Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stone_man
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Stone_man »

Thanks Doggler--that's helpful info for the Vestal basin peaks. I imagine your assessment would be a good bet....

Brian -- PM sent.

Jed -- If we gave Dallas a go, it would likely be on the 3rd or 4th. Would be nice if someone did it this weekend, huh! Seems like a good probability of people doing Sneffels this weekend, so a pic from the top of there would be fantastic (saw the other post about that).

JosephG--Thanks for the info, that's good to know. A pic is always nice!
letsgocu
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 383 8
Trip Reports (1)

Post by letsgocu »

My plan is todo Dallas with these guys Early in the long weekend, then head to the Vestal group after that. My plan is to solo the Vestal group as of now unless others are planning on giving it a go in that timeframe, let me know...

Thanks Stone_man for getting this started by the way...
Why do we want to climb mountains? Because they are there...
geojed
Trip Reports (29)

Post by geojed »

I'll be doing Teakettle 7/4 and then Dallas 7/5.
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
geojed
Trip Reports (29)

Post by geojed »

Found a pic taken yesterday (6/28) of Dallas from Sneffels from a Blog Post/Photo TR shared on FB.

Blog Post: http://donutsdoo.wordpress.com/2014/06/ ... fun-run-2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's a link directly to the pic. (it is very Hi-Res @ 4320x3240px) http://donutsdoo.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/045.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tim Edinger
14ers: 56 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Tim Edinger »

We tagged Vestal Peak via Wham Ridge on 6/14/2014. Started at Molas Pass. No snow in Vestal Basin. A few snow fields at the headwall to vestal, but they could have been avoided. We glissaded down the Dues Collector coulior and the small snowfields back to the basin at the end of the descent. Elk Creek was raging. there was considerable snow on the ascent/descent ramp on Arrow peak, but we did not do arrow, so I cannot say whether it was "in" or not. No need for snowshoes, crampons, r an ice axe I do not think at this stage. I used my ice axe for glissading, but my two other partners did not have theirs and had no problems. Good luck - great place!
Stone_man
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Stone_man »

Jed--that's a fantastic beta shot, thanks for posting! You still giving it a go on the 5th?

Tim--thanks for the detailed beta, that's exactly what I wanted to know. I've been to Vestal Basin once and got denied Wham Ridge...needless to say I've been burning to get back ever since!
geojed
Trip Reports (29)

Post by geojed »

Stone_man wrote:Jed--that's a fantastic beta shot, thanks for posting! You still giving it a go on the 5th?

Tim--thanks for the detailed beta, that's exactly what I wanted to know. I've been to Vestal Basin once and got denied Wham Ridge...needless to say I've been burning to get back ever since!
Yep, plan is still for Teakettle on the 4th and Dallas on the 5th. With that much snow still on the N face of Dallas' summit block I'll be bringing the crampons just for that section. I'm guessing all the S and E facing stuff will be pretty melted out.

Stone_Man: If you could, post a quick conditions report here after you climb on the 3rd or 4th. Any pics or beta would be very helpful.

Anyone else interested in Teakettle on Fri the 4th?