The Trapdoor on Fluted Pk. 13,554'

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
DArcyS
14ers: 58 
13ers: 544
Trip Reports (3)

The Trapdoor on Fluted Pk. 13,554'

Post by DArcyS »

Last September I was approaching the summit of Fluted Pk. and looking down at these boulders I was hopping along on. All of a sudden I realized that the ground I was staring at between these boulders was not five feet beneath me, but rather about 20 feet beneath me. What? I quickly realized I was walking on a suspended matrix of rocks that seemingly could collapse and ultimately lead to one tough tumble down the northeast face of Fluted.

Or so I think. Even now I have a hard time believing what I saw. If I was one of these people who snacked on edibles, I'd be convinced I was just high as a kite and not seeing things right. Unfortunately, I don't carry camera, so I didn't document this geologic feature (maybe I should think about doing trip reports so I would carry a camera with me).

Has anybody else seen this formation? Basically it appears the ground eroded beneath this interlocking matrix of boulders. It really seems impossible, but . . .

If anybody hasn't climbed Fluted yet, this might make for an interesting trip. As best as I can remember, the formation is near the last subpeak to the south of the summit.
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Re: The Trapdoor on Fluted Pk. 13,554'

Post by jdorje »

Where in relation to the summit?

EDIT: sorry, didnt see "subpeak to the south of the summit". I haven't been there.
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 290 37
Trip Reports (27)

Re: The Trapdoor on Fluted Pk. 13,554'

Post by Monster5 »

Ha yeah - cool feature. Tension crack. Pic:

Under the overhang at the far end of the summit:

"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich