Quick 13er for Sunday morning... "near" denver...?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Dark Helmet
14ers: 7 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Quick 13er for Sunday morning... "near" denver...?

Post by Dark Helmet »

tlongpine wrote:
Dark Helmet wrote:
tlongpine wrote: Heck, why not Bierstadt?

because I live at 1300ft and would need a day or two to acclimate for that.

a short/low 13er I can do.
You're overestimating the difference between 13,000' and 14,000'.

Oxygen density by altitude:
1300': 96% of sea level
13000': 63% of sea level
14000': 61% of sea level

Whatever effects you fear at 14K will certainly affect you nearly the same at 13K. If you're reasonably cardio fit then you probably wont notice a difference. I say go for it!

total distance of the hike is the difference. I can bang out a few quick miles, but 8+ (which I think all of those 14ers are) is just a bit much. and I don't want to do Beirstadt without doing Evans and the Sawtooth at the same time...
Dark Helmet
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dark Helmet »

Lemmiwinks wrote:Sniktau and/or Grizzly.
are the trails well-marked on those?

trailheads need to be on GOOD roads... I'm not driving the jeep.
TaylorHolt
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 210 7
Trip Reports (8)

Post by TaylorHolt »

Dark Helmet wrote:
Lemmiwinks wrote:Sniktau and/or Grizzly.
are the trails well-marked on those?

trailheads need to be on GOOD roads... I'm not driving the jeep.
The trailhead is at Loveland Pass, so it's a paved road the entire way. As for the trail, I don't think there is a distinguishable trail, but the whole thing is above treeline and follows a ridge. So it's very straightforward.

Route Description for Grizzly: http://www.13ers.com/routemain.php?route=20100327453

There are plenty of trip reports for these peaks as well.
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer
Dark Helmet
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dark Helmet »

perfect, thx man.

I knew Loveland was easy to get to... it was the others I'm not as familiar with!
tlongpine
14ers: 27  1  2 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by tlongpine »

Dark Helmet wrote:perfect, thx man.

I knew Loveland was easy to get to... it was the others I'm not as familiar with!
The trail from Loveland Pass is on the East side of the road, begins right above the parking lot, and follows a steep but non-technical shoulder ridge to a saddle. From the saddle head North to Sniktau, south to Grizzly. Be prepared for snowpack.
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.