Snow levels in the Grenadiers?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Tim Edinger
14ers: 56 
Trip Reports (5)

Snow levels in the Grenadiers?

Post by Tim Edinger »

Anyone been down to Vestal, Arrow or the Trinity Peaks in the last month? I'm planning a trip down there over Memorial Day weekend and am interested in accounting for the snowpack. Wondering if I'll need snowshoes to get up to Vestal Basin?
dehrlich101
14ers: 46  2 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (21)

Re: Snow levels in the Grenadiers?

Post by dehrlich101 »

Haven't been down there recently but here is the SNOTEL sight for Bear Town and Molas Lake. They are kinda close to the Grenadiers.

http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/reportGene ... AVG::value

http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/reportGene ... AVG::value

Snowpack update map - It changes daily.

ftp://ftp-fc.sc.egov.usda.gov/CO/Snow/s ... e_snow.pdf
I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in - Aldo Leopold

Support Colorado Search and Rescue - CORSAR Card

LOJ
Vincopotamus
14ers: 36  3  3 
13ers: 10 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Vincopotamus »

Not sure about the Grenadiers, but the snowline in the 550 corridor around Coal Bank and Molas passes is around 9,000-10,000 ft right now, depending on aspect. The snowpack in this corner of the state is about 70-80% of normal, so I'd expect a little less snow that average for Memorial Day weekend. You can check on previous San Juan trip reports from that weekend to get an idea of what typical conditions are that time of year.
The only time I lower the bar is après
DArcyS
14ers: 58 
13ers: 544
Trip Reports (3)

Post by DArcyS »

You can go to CalTopo and overlay the snotel sites. Clicking on a snotel site allows you to see real time snowpack values that were just taken hours ago. You can gauge the rate of melting as well because temperature values are also provided. The link below is a shortcut link I have on my computer. I guess I like watching the paint dry, the grass grow, and the snow melt.

http://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=37.67827 ... map&a=sntl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;