Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Elk range 13er suggestions?

Colorado 13er questions, conditions, and other info should be posted here. Also includes topics related to 13ers.com. 13er Trip Reports

Elk range 13er suggestions?

Postby ahrendse » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:26 am

I am going to be in the Aspen area this week and would like to spend a day (either Thursday or Friday) hiking an Elk Range 13er. If possible, I would like to keep the difficulty to Class 3 or less with minimal avy risk. I drive a Rav4 with good tires but am not sure how accessible the Elk THs are this time of year.

Right now, Baldy Mnt A and UN13244 are on my radar.

All suggestions welcome and appreciated!
`You might just as well say that "I see what I eat" is the same thing as "I eat what I see"!'

Re: Elk range 13er suggestions?

Postby Scott P » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:42 am

It's just under 13K, but Sopris should be a reasonable choice if you stay on route. If you stay on route, almost all of the avalanche danger is avoidable. I'm not sure what the current road conditions are, but I have driven to near the trailhead in December.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby bergsteigen » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:48 am

ahrendse wrote:Right now, Baldy Mnt A and UN13244 are on my radar.

Those would be doable, but I'm not sure if you would need a Snowmass ski pass or not. The way to approach these, would be from the ridge along Snowmass ski resort. Bill's new Google Maps interface is amazing!
Attachments
elk_13ers-1.jpg
Baldy Mnt A and UN13244
elk_13ers-1.jpg (330.68 KiB) Viewed 645 times
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)

http://otinasadventures.com

Postby bergsteigen » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:19 pm

Electric Pass Peak might be "OK". The approach would be the problem. I'm not sure how much the slope above the trail will wind load, as it's definitely steep enough to slide. Here's a summer photo from Cathedral lake looking at Electric Pass on left and Leahy on right. The trail approach takes you below those steep slopes on the right. I think the road closes at the dirt road to Castle, so it should be accessible. (More photos/maps)

Otherwise, most other 13ers in the Elks seem to be in prime Avy territory...
Attachments
elk_13ers-2.jpg
Electric Pass Peak
elk_13ers-2.jpg (198.16 KiB) Viewed 624 times
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)

http://otinasadventures.com

Postby JEyez » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:46 pm

The road to Sopris TH was good as of a week ago. Pretty sure the same conditions exist today. I highly recommend Sopris right now. Easy (albeit long) snow hike. Didn't see a soul all day.

Postby Monster5 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:35 pm

bergsteigen wrote:Electric Pass Peak might be "OK"....

Had to cross one slide path and detour south last winter. Personally, top 3 in the Worst Slog Ever category, but probably not nearly as bleh at the moment.

Track by SarahT:

epp.jpg
DONTHIKETHISIWARNEDYOU
epp.jpg (133.49 KiB) Viewed 561 times
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich

Postby geojed » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:52 pm

Monster5 wrote:Personally, top 3 in the Worst Slog Ever category, but probably not nearly as bleh at the moment.

But I hear the sunset from the summit is beautiful this time of year.. :-"