Mount Meeker Questions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Re: Mount Meeker Questions

Post by justiner »

Kiefer wrote:But....in order to reach Meeker's summit, there is a knife ridge (I took the picture in March) you have to cross.
You say that, like it's a bad thing ;)
Kiefer wrote: Keplingers....LONG ROUTE. Expect to start 0-dark thirty and get back to the car after dark (this time of year). Tricky route-finding in the trees the closer to
Sandbeach Lake you get. But WONDERFUL for solitude!
Given your experience, is that route doable around this time of year? I've only seen it full of snow, so I don't know what it looks like without snow/with such a thin layer of snow.
goingup
14ers: 58  21 
13ers: 295 1 4
Trip Reports (33)

Post by goingup »

Not to sound like a d**k but I am pretty new to scrambling and I didn't think that knife edge was that big of a deal. I actually thought there were more intense parts before and after the knife edge. It is totally do able unless you have some horrible fear of heights. Also depending on how you pick your line up the Iron Gates some of the loose scree/talus can be avoided. As well it is over really quickly. Both my partner and I made mention of how quickly we gained the ridge.
through being cool
Somewhat of a Prick
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 84
Trip Reports (17)

Post by Somewhat of a Prick »

goingup wrote:I actually thought there were more intense parts before and after the knife edge.
Sounds like Capitol.