Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

South Arapaho Peak accessible?

Colorado 13er questions, conditions, and other info should be posted here. Also includes topics related to 13ers.com. 13er Trip Reports

South Arapaho Peak accessible?

Postby Liquid Shadow » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:03 pm

Wondering if Fourth of July TH is open. Has anybody been in the area? Would like to climb South Arapaho this Sunday if possible. Any info is appreciated.

Re: South Arapaho Peak accessible?

Postby IronLionZion » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:52 pm

I was at 4th of July last Sunday, the road was clear except for one small ice patch, they probably got some snow the last few days but it should still be easily passable. The trail to S. Arapahoe looks snowy but traveled, snow shoes should not be needed.
Hold up my goings in thy paths, that my footsteps slip not. Psalm 17:5

Postby streetly » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:05 am

I concur with IronLion. I climbed S.Arap on Monday. The road is good all the way to the TH, but for a couple snowy patches. No problem in 2WD. The trail is fine until the Arap Pass / Arap Glacier trails junction. At that point much of the trail gets covered in snow. Be sure to study the map so you know to veer right (east) up toward Old Baldy. That is the standard class 2 route. I mistakenly continued north northwest and ended up climbing the back side of S.Arap class 3, not recommended.

Postby Liquid Shadow » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:42 am

Thanks for the info guys. I will give it a shot tomorrow.