IPW Conditions / Recommendations

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Hungry Jack
14ers: 12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

IPW Conditions / Recommendations

Post by Hungry Jack »

Coming out on Tuesday for 5 days for a very late season trip. I don't have winter gear (spikes, crampons, etc.), so I am looking for options below 12k or so. Staying in Summit but willing to travel a bit, and was wondering if there are good options in the IPW, which we have yet to try.
please rotate your device
goingup
14ers: 58  21 
13ers: 295 1 4
Trip Reports (33)

Re: IPW Conditions / Recommendations

Post by goingup »

Here is the upcoming weather forecast for the IPW:

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... -105.64648" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was in the Gores on Saturday (Keller Mountain a lower 13er). It was a gorgeous day but there was SO much snow (hip deep in spots on me [5'4"]) all the way down to the TH around 9,000 feet. It did not melt off above 12,000 feet by afternoon. It somewhat melted below by 3 p.m.

I think you are going to have a hard time finding anything to hike at this point without winterish conditions. I did not have snowshoes or an ice axe (brought it but left it in the truck) on Saturday and I was completely fine. I also wore a pair of $100 leather waterproof boots with a light hiking sock and my feet stayed warm and dry all day. I did have on gaitors which I could not have been without. I only put my microspikes on once we hit the ridge and used them for the class 3 scrambling. IMO they are a nuisance unless scrambling a rocky snow/ice filled ridge line.

Perhaps if you pick yourself up some gaitors and you have a waterproof boot the Sawatch range would be good for you? I have not been there in two weeks so I am unsure of the conditions.

If you are really stuck on the IPW (and I understand why) South Arapaho is a 13er and a pretty short and mellow hike. Again, I believe there will be snow.

Best of luck and have fun out there.
through being cool
Hungry Jack
14ers: 12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hungry Jack »

Thanks for the beta. It sounds like the Front Range has more snow than the Sawatch, based on a smattering of reports. I am not wed to any particular place, but I was thinking the lower elevations of the Front Range might have less snow.
please rotate your device
ak47
14ers: 44 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ak47 »

Mt audobon was a great hike yesterday with minimal snow and no traction devices required. However the brainard lake road is closed and you must walk or bike in to any of the trailheads.
jomagam
14ers: 16 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jomagam »

ak47 wrote:Mt audobon was a great hike yesterday with minimal snow and no traction devices required. However the brainard lake road is closed and you must walk or bike in to any of the trailheads.
Did you bike in ? Is there a decent alternative to that ? Hiking the road is 5.5 miles extra each way. Sourdough trail from the south nice but it's also 6 miles to the toll gate. Is county road 96 open to access the place from the north ?
jomagam
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jomagam »

Brainard Lake's website has:

Due to the 2013 flood, access to the Brainard Lake Recreation Area is from the south through Blackhawk. The Brainard Lake Road is closed to motorized traffic.

What does that mean specifically ? Is Lefthand Canyon still closed ? Blackhawk is pretty far from Brainard Lake.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

jomagam wrote:Hiking the road is 5.5 miles extra each way.
I think hiking the road adds ~5 miles round trip not each way. I've walked it in 40 minutes before so it certainly can't be 5 miles.
Make wilderness less accessible.
jomagam
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jomagam »

Dave B wrote:
jomagam wrote:Hiking the road is 5.5 miles extra each way.
I think hiking the road adds ~5 miles round trip not each way. I've walked it in 40 minutes before so it certainly can't be 5 miles.
It's 5.5 miles to Long Lake TH, but you're right in that the winter gate would be down even if the road was undamaged so it's adding about 2.5 miles each way.
Alpineair
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Alpineair »

Hungry Jack,

Check out James Peak, easy access from Summit County. If you want IPW north of that, Fourth of July TH out of Eldora. Do not believe the weather forecast, come on out and see for yourself. HTH!

Alpineair
Adverse conditions may exist-CDOT
jomagam
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jomagam »

Is the road to Brainard winter TH open now ? The website suggests so, but it'd be great if somebody could confirm.
ak47
14ers: 44 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ak47 »

The road has been closed since the govt shutdown, biking in is the best alternative, lefthand canyon is officially closed but is passable and open to residents, you just have to go around the blockades
jomagam
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jomagam »

ak47 wrote:The road has been closed since the govt shutdown, biking in is the best alternative, lefthand canyon is officially closed but is passable and open to residents, you just have to go around the blockades
Is it closed at the usual winter gate, or right from Highway 7 ? https://fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUME ... 438381.pdf suggests that the road leading to the gate is open now.