Mt Hope

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
summitstep
14ers: 15 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Mt Hope

Post by summitstep »

Hey climbers....... looking for a little info and advice. Hope to be back in Colorado next summer for another round of climbing. Although my main goals are 2 - 4 more14ers, I am constantly drawn to Mt Hope as a peak that looks inviting. If any of you have climbed it, please offer your insights. Opinions welcome on which route is preferred; Sheeps gulch or Willis gulch. I need to know if route is fairly straightforward, as orienteering is not one of my strengths, so I want a challenge but within the confines of good sense. Don't want to become a 'missing' link. Based on my son's schedule, I may be compelled to go solo. I've seen a couple TRs and she looks fun and challenging. Just can't get her off my mind (don't tell my wife). Thanks in advance for your help and thoughts. I know this is way out in time, but a man needs to dream on cold winter Ohio nights and they're comin' soon!

And keep praying for the missing climbers; one of these guys lives close to me.
"In this high country that we love, trails are steep. We climb each mile, breath by breath, and at the threshold of pain, bliss overtakes us."

"It's called CRAZY. And somehow, when you are bent over your poles, staring at your boots- heart heaving and trying not to cough your lung onto a rock= you look up...and you are looking down over all those beautiful mountains....and you wouldn't want to be anywhere else."

"For all the richness of normal, everyday life, it is good sometimes to trespass high in the sky, and live with uncommon intensity, experiencing something that gets close to the sublime."
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Re: Mt Hope

Post by Jay521 »

I have done Hope from the Sheep Gulch side and did Quail (same saddle) from the Willis side. I thought that the Sheep Gulch side was probably prettier (barely - both are nice) and I think the route finding is definitely easier on the Sheep Gulch side (take one trail and just follow it to the saddle, hang a left and go up the mountain). I will be out of town for a few days but would be happy to send you pics from both sides when I get back next week. PM me if interested. --Jay

PS - The views from the top are really good and if you are feeling up to it, Quail is a fairly easy jaunt.
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
summitstep
Trip Reports (0)

Post by summitstep »

Thanks Jay521. I will PM you; would love to see the pics and appreciate your response. Take care and talk to you soon.
"In this high country that we love, trails are steep. We climb each mile, breath by breath, and at the threshold of pain, bliss overtakes us."

"It's called CRAZY. And somehow, when you are bent over your poles, staring at your boots- heart heaving and trying not to cough your lung onto a rock= you look up...and you are looking down over all those beautiful mountains....and you wouldn't want to be anywhere else."

"For all the richness of normal, everyday life, it is good sometimes to trespass high in the sky, and live with uncommon intensity, experiencing something that gets close to the sublime."
rajz06
14ers: 27  4 
13ers: 100
Trip Reports (63)

Post by rajz06 »

I climbed Hope last Friday from Sheep Gulch TH. As Jay noted, the standard route from this approach is more straightforward as there is a solid trail to Hope Pass from where you climb Hope's east ridge (Class 2 with a little route finding). I climbed the southeast ridge of Hope which involves leaving the trail early with a little route finding but is not technical. The area is beautiful, and doing the loop and visiting Quail on the return was very rewarding. Keep us posted on your experience.
summitstep
Trip Reports (0)

Post by summitstep »

Thanks for the reply Rajz06, and REALLY enjoyed the trip report and photos! La Plata and Huron are two of my goals on that trip so it was fun to see them in your pics. You guys have got me weeping that next summer is so far off! :cry: But I appreciate the teasers. Glad for you that you enjoyed such a great day out.

IHikeLikeAGirl
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 329
Trip Reports (6)

Post by IHikeLikeAGirl »

Summitstep - I would be interested in going with you, next summer. I've had my eye on Hope and Quail for awhile too. PM me as the summer draws near.
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."
- Steven Wright
smoove
14ers: 44  11 
13ers: 34 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by smoove »

SilverLynx wrote:Does anyone know if there are a lot of aspens on this trail, like the South Mount Elbert trailhead? Looking at this mountain as an option for this weekend. I'm trying to get some exceptional fall color pics.
Yup, I got some amazing Aspen pics there a couple years ago.
rajz06
14ers: 27  4 
13ers: 100
Trip Reports (63)

Post by rajz06 »

SilverLynx wrote:Does anyone know if there are a lot of aspens on this trail, like the South Mount Elbert trailhead? Looking at this mountain as an option for this weekend. I'm trying to get some exceptional fall color pics.
Yes, the early part of Hope Pass trail (below 11K') is quite rich with Aspens. You won't be disappointed if you're hiking within the next week or so.
siop
Trip Reports (0)

Post by siop »

I hiked Mt Hope from Willis Gulch last Friday, you should get some good colors this weekend. For some reason this won't let me upload the photos, but the aspens were really starting to look awesome.
"because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing the lawn. climb that goddamn mountain" -jack kerouac

"here is your chance to find your own way. go on your own. be adventuresome. don't forever seek the easiest way. go the way you find. don't demand trail signs and sturdy bridges. don't demand we show you the mountains. see them and find them yourself. here's your chance to get lost, fall in the creek, find a beautiful place." -randy morgenson
WhoDang
14ers: 12  1 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by WhoDang »

I plan on climbing Hope tomorrow. Is there any area to camp around the Sheep Gulch Trailhead? Was planning on driving out from Denver tonight.
wildlobo71
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

WhoDang wrote:I plan on climbing Hope tomorrow. Is there any area to camp around the Sheep Gulch Trailhead? Was planning on driving out from Denver tonight.
Plenty of dispersed camping up and down 390. You should be able to get relatively close.
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus
WhoDang
14ers: 12  1 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by WhoDang »

wildlobo71 wrote:
WhoDang wrote:I plan on climbing Hope tomorrow. Is there any area to camp around the Sheep Gulch Trailhead? Was planning on driving out from Denver tonight.
Plenty of dispersed camping up and down 390. You should be able to get relatively close.
Awesome, thanks!