Pacific Peak Loop - need info.

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
LivingOnTheEdge
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 72
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Pacific Peak Loop - need info.

Post by LivingOnTheEdge »

It's probably too late for this since it sounds like you are reconsidering but my brother and I did the Father Dyer/Helen loop a couple weeks ago. It's definitely not the place you want to be in a thunderstorm and there is no real escape except getting to Father Dyer or turning back for Helen. It took us about 2.5 hours to get from Helen to Dyer and we were going at a decent pace but documenting heavily with cameras. We also chose to climb almost every tower except one as Bill's route described so it's possible to do it faster. I would agree that there were definitely spots (mostly down climbs) that felt class four. There is also a bunch of exposure. The videos in my trip report do a pretty good job of showing it: http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=14169

Also, I climbed the East Ridge on Pacific last year and it was pretty similar to FD/Helen. Definitely easier and less exposure but it was longer. It took us about 2.5 hours to get across that ridge too but we were going at a much quicker pace. Hopefully some of this helps!
rhinos00
14ers: 5 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rhinos00 »

LivingOnTheEdge wrote:It's probably too late for this since it sounds like you are reconsidering but my brother and I did the Father Dyer/Helen loop a couple weeks ago. It's definitely not the place you want to be in a thunderstorm and there is no real escape except getting to Father Dyer or turning back for Helen. It took us about 2.5 hours to get from Helen to Dyer and we were going at a decent pace but documenting heavily with cameras. We also chose to climb almost every tower except one as Bill's route described so it's possible to do it faster. I would agree that there were definitely spots (mostly down climbs) that felt class four. There is also a bunch of exposure. The videos in my trip report do a pretty good job of showing it: http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=14169

Also, I climbed the East Ridge on Pacific last year and it was pretty similar to FD/Helen. Definitely easier and less exposure but it was longer. It took us about 2.5 hours to get across that ridge too but we were going at a much quicker pace. Hopefully some of this helps!

Thanks for that awesome information! We definitely wanted to do this loop, but we wanted a guarantee summit and with the potential for thunderstorms so early in the morning, we went a different route. As you mentioned, we did not want to be stuck up there. We ended up going with Mount Richthofen and experienced absolutely beautiful weather. That being said, this loop will be one we will come back to.
rhinos00
14ers: 5 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rhinos00 »

Also, great videos! That definitely made my stomach turn just watching you guys there. I'm glad we went the Richthofen route...for now. I've come a long way in battling my fear of heights, but some of those spires you climbed looked intense. Great work!