Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Need Mt Powell (Gore) details

Colorado 13er questions, conditions, and other info should be posted here. Also includes topics related to 13ers.com. 13er Trip Reports

Re: Need Mt Powell (Gore) details

Postby hvolmer » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:08 pm

mtnfiend wrote:
awake wrote:Not sure if I'm the only one, but I had a tough time with route finding up Mt Powell. There's a trail, but I somehow kept losing it, and ended up having to turn around.

If a trail is needed to get to the top of a mountain, then the gore is probably not the place for you.....

Also, the lack of a tidal wave of info on the gore is also what makes it fun. Enjoy the pioneering feel and go explore!

I agree on both counts. I like a trail in those cases where I'm treading on the weak tundra. My already limited eco-guilt is minimized. :wink: Usually, it's much more fun to brave your own way - unless your way is moving sideways through scree.

My original post was to determine whether I had a feel for the "route". We were feeling very lazy and not looking forward to a big vertical in a short distance. As it turned out, our choice for the day was still pretty much straight up, but fun and short.

Thanks folks for all of the suggestions!

Re: Need Mt Powell (Gore) details

Postby a94buff » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:16 pm

I really liked that area, and didn't mind that I wasn't on the exact right trail, since it's pretty easy to know which general direction to head; but it did slow me down enough that I kind of ran short on time (I'd missed a turn on the drive in too that cost me almost half an hour grrr) and opted to turn back before kneeknocker. I definitely want to get back in there and summit; Powell has been on my list for a long time.

Previous