Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Weminuche Creek water quality

Colorado 13er questions, conditions, and other info should be posted here. Also includes topics related to 13ers.com. 13er Trip Reports

Weminuche Creek water quality

Postby oldschoolczar » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:56 pm

I know there's some issues with heavy metals in this area.. does anyone know if the water from Wetterhorn Creek and the Weminuche Pass area in general is safe to drink?
Last edited by oldschoolczar on Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Tonight I'll shave the mountain
I'll cut the hearts from pharoahs"
-Tom Waits

Re: Wetterhorn Creek water quality

Postby Aug_Dog » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:32 pm

I can't say whether it safe or not, but I remember looking at it and thinking, "no way I would drink that water." But, to each his own ...
Go get it

Postby Gareth » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:42 pm

Nine years ago I drank water out of the creek at Weminuche Pass (near Rio Grande Pyramid) and I'm still alive.
"Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they've got a second."
- William James

Postby jeremy27 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:43 pm

For whatever reasons I can't seem to post the direct links but search the forum for a post called "Uncompahgre and Wetterhorn Logistics" and post called "Uncompahgre wilderness water"
should answer your questions.

Postby Fisching » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:08 pm

Camp Gladiator was there last year, so that might be the bigger concern to water quality.
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."

"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."

"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."

Location: Up high in the San Juan Mtns (Apr-Nov) and down by the beach in CA & HA (Nov-Apr)

Postby San Juan Ron » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:08 pm

The water at Weminuche Pass is fine as is most of the water in the area. However, there are a couple of creeks around Wetterhorn that are laced with heavy minerals and you might want to avoid those creeks. I have drank from those creeks and not had any problems, but wouldn't recommend it unless you didn't have any alternatives. SJ Ron :)

Postby screeman57 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:26 pm

You can tell if the water's bad by the rock discoloration around the streambed. There was a good thread on this last year:

http://14ers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=35703
"Never measure the height of a mountain until you have reached the top. Then you will see how low it was." -Dag Hammarskjold

Postby Roald » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:27 pm

Fisching wrote:Camp Gladiator was there last year, so that might be the bigger concern to water quality.

While filtering water I saw something float by and I figured maybe someone had accidentally dropped a Baby Ruth in the creek. Forgot about the CG visit, now I know what it really was.
chrismjx wrote:

Roald, in that one sentence you managed to demonstrate that A) you're an idiot and B) you're a hypocrite, and a perfect example of the cause of the modern-day problems in this country.

Postby oldschoolczar » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:26 pm

Oh.. I meant Weminuche Creek, not Wetterhorn :oops: I'd seen that thread before, very interesting!
"Tonight I'll shave the mountain
I'll cut the hearts from pharoahs"
-Tom Waits

Re: Weminuche Creek water quality

Postby gdthomas » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:00 am

The water in Weminuche Creek is fine as mountain streams go. I'd still use a purifier, filter, etc., however.