Indian Peaks Traverse Beta

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Hungry Jack
14ers: 12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Indian Peaks Traverse Beta

Post by Hungry Jack »

I am always looking for fun class 3/4 traverses that are reasonably accessible from Summit County. I have done Kelso Ridge, Quandary W. Ridge, Longs Loft, and the Helen-Dyer traverse with little qualms.

I am wondering if the Navajo-Apache-Shoshone traverse can be done, including the Kasparov section, while keeping it to class 4. I know some of the towers on the Kasparov are serious 5s, but can they be skirted?

Otherwise, the best sub class 5 IPW traverse appears to be the Arapaho traverse.

I welcome your comments and suggestions.
please rotate your device
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Re: Indian Peaks Traverse Beta

Post by Dave B »

Apache to Shoshoni (the Kasparov Traverse) is definitely technical. I've heard some one say it can be done with bypassing the 5th class sections but then it's not really the kasparov.

Navajo->Apache is 3+ and looks fun. I've been near it, but never done it.

Also look into Little Pawnee->Pawnee which can be a route finding challenge

Audubon-> Pauite is OK but is really like 2 moves of class 3.
Make wilderness less accessible.
viejo
Trip Reports (0)

Post by viejo »

With a little route finding, you can bypass the chessmen on the east and keep things class 4. Things can be a bit loose from the low point of the saddle south to Apache. Depending on time of year you might have to traverse some snow in a gully below the King. Wouln't hurt to carry an axe.

Also with some route finding, you can find a class 4 up the north side of Toll (there's a sloppier class 3 documented for that as well).

As mentioned, Little Pawnee to Pawnee is a good traverse. Likewise, Navajo to Niwot is a good class 3 walk.

Loop them up however you'd like. It's feasible to loop Audobon/Paiute/Toll/Pawnee/Shoshoni/Apache/Navajo/Niwot. At least it was when I was younger and had some knees (and wind) left.
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

There was still some snow on the lower traverse below the King on July 14. I had planned on doing the traverse (minus the class 5.hard) chessman, but the weather turned on me.

Here are some photos for beta: http://otinasadventures.com/index.php?trip=shoshoni

"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
speth
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 44
Trip Reports (3)

Post by speth »

Ontina, is there a snow route open to Apache still? I believe that's Queen's Way in the left of your photo, looks good.

Also, I think there's a "ledges" route somewhere on SP that'll take you up Apache, though I can't remember if that's a traverse from Shoshoni or if you start lower towards the glacial pool directly above Isabelle.

All I want is to just have fun, live my life like a son of a gun
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
bergsteigen
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

speth wrote:Ontina, is there a snow route open to Apache still? I believe that's Queen's Way in the left of your photo, looks good.
Yup, the snow in my previous photo is Queen's Way. Not continuous to summit, but still good, with a very early start I'd imagine. Here's the other pano with Navajo and Apache showing whatever snow remains up there:

"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

Hungry Jack
14ers: 12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hungry Jack »

I don't think the Kasparov traverse is for me, even avoiding the towers. Looks spectacular. I think I will enjoy it from the web.
please rotate your device
forbins_mtn
14ers: 28  2 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (5)

Post by forbins_mtn »

This just looks sick!!! I might have to add this Kasparov Traverse to the list of Must Climbs. Not sure I could do the Rook's 5.10 face though. I'll have to work my way up to that.

I got out and did the Arapaho traverse this past weekend as my first time in the Indian Peaks and I'm a little obsessed now. Gorgeous area and very easy drive from Denver
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

forbins_mtn wrote:Gorgeous area and very easy drive from Denver
No it's not, it's a horribly unaesthetic area with too much of a drive to make it worth the while.

Move along, nothing to see here, continue your drive to the Sawatch, there's 14ers there.
forbins_mtn
14ers: 28  2 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (5)

Post by forbins_mtn »

Jig is up. Sorry man!
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

forbins_mtn wrote:Jig is up. Sorry man!
Damn...

Can't hide them in plain site any longer I guess :-D
bergsteigen
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

Not like you'll find a parking spot... :twisted: