Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Somewhat short 13er near T ride?

Colorado 13er questions, conditions, and other info should be posted here. Also includes topics related to 13ers.com. 13er Trip Reports

Somewhat short 13er near T ride?

Postby GeorgiaTyler » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:15 pm

Thinking of climbing Silver Mountain B in Ophir on my way to T ride for Jazz fest. Anybody know if there is trail, kinda having a hard time finding any info on this guy. In a 2wd focus. Hoping to start in Ophir and hike up the drainage east of town, and hit the ridge and cut over to the summit. Anybody have any insight or easier options for a summit around 2 ride accessible by 2 wd and 1/2 day. Thanks!

not going over ophir pass

Re: Somewhat short 13er near T ride?

Postby towalkinwater » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:32 pm

There's a bunch of good stuff up past Hope Lake. The road's a little rough but 2WD will get you there. You could do Ajax (12er) at the end of the box canyon and swing on the mining cable on your way up. You'll have to park 2WD just past the Idarado Mine. Ballard is good from Town Park in T-ride. Palmyra and Baldy from the top of the G would make a good half day hike. Lots of other great hikes with solitude to be had if you're not trying to peak bag: Sneffels Highline, old Iron Mountain Road, Sheridan Crosscut, Bilk Basin, all kinds of wandering up by Lizard Head. The world is your oyster!

Wade

Re: Somewhat short 13er near T ride?

Postby colluvium » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:48 pm

I've done this from the T-ride side, inspired by this excellent trip report from furthermore:
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=6867
also from the south.
There are trails from the Ophir side to the ridge (e.g. Oscar's pass). After that you're on your own on the ridge as far as I could tell. The route finding is not all that difficult but I'm not sure I'd want to be constrained by time considering the unstable nature of the rock. Wasatch Mountain is an easier (and higher!) ridge walk/climb from the same direction. It can also be accessed from Telluride, as can La Junta peak and Mt. Emma - good options if parking festival companions in civilization gains you more time to climb.
enjoy!