Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Parnassus and Bard - From Hermans?

Colorado 13er questions, conditions, and other info should be posted here. Also includes topics related to 13ers.com. 13er Trip Reports

Re: Parnassus and Bard - From Hermans?

Postby James Dziezynski » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:50 pm

Check out my book Best Summit Hikes in Colorado at http://amzn.to/WKkWOH

Postby Derek » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:45 am

Unless you're set on reascending peaks (Parnassus specifically) I would try to make use of the Bard trail. I didn't have many photos of the trail in the report I posted a couple posts back, but it was a really beautiful trail...great views to the south..definitely a pleasant place. It is the southern most trail on the map below. Once the trail hits the SE ridge of Parnassus, it disappears but there are cairns leading across a small boulderfield. You'll lose 100-200 feet that you'll have to immediately regain, but still less than reascending Parnassus.

"I used to think my Dad was Elvis. But I haven't told him that yet. I haven't told my Dad either." -S. Murdoch
LOJ

Postby pak » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:51 am

I did this loop a couple of weeks ago. From the summit of Bard you can drop into the drainage between Bard and Parnassus. Once in the drainage, pick a line that does not drop too low; shoot for the brush just below the ridge. You will find a weak trail that ascends the ridge, and from this point, you are back on the Bard trail. Here is the approximate line I took:

Descending Bard.jpg
Descending Bard.jpg (88.97 KiB) Viewed 127 times

Here are my tracks - I turned off the GPS from the summit of Parnassus to Bard to save the batteries:

Parnassus-Bard Track.jpg
Parnassus-Bard Track.jpg (95.2 KiB) Viewed 127 times

Enjoy!
Phil

Previous