Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Parnassus and Bard - From Hermans?

Colorado 13er questions, conditions, and other info should be posted here. Also includes topics related to 13ers.com. 13er Trip Reports

Parnassus and Bard - From Hermans?

Postby hvolmer » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:55 pm

It appears that Herman's Gulch / Watrous trail is the way to get started on Parnassus. If I have time and choose to go to Bard, is there a way down that returns me somewhere near Herman's? I don't think the forest in that area will be very neat and tidy given the amount of fallen trees in the area.

I see Bard Creek Trail in other trip reports, but I don't see it on my map. I do see Bard Creek which appears to head east - in the wrong direction - which implies that the trail might do the same... :?:

Thanks!

Re: Parnassus and Bard - From Hermans?

Postby mtgirl » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:58 pm

"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."

Postby wildlobo71 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:00 pm

What she said!
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Postby Lemmiwinks » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:02 pm

The best route down is to head into the drainage on the south side of the saddle between Parnassus and Bard. Stay to the right (Parnassus side) until you reach a small boulder field just above treeline. From here, head up about 300 ft on a faintly marked trail to gain the southern ridge of Parnassus. This requires some upclimbing. Cairns will lead you to the Bard Creek Tr and back to the trail junction with the Watrous Gulch Tr. From here follow the trail for the remaining 1.4 miles back to the trailhead.
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer

Postby SilverLynx » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:04 pm

hvolmer wrote:I don't think the forest in that area will be very neat and tidy given the amount of fallen trees in the area.

:lol: Yes, you would be right about that.

When you return to Herman's, do not descend into the trees from Bard too quickly! Stay above the trees until you go over the bottom of the ridge of Parnassus. There isn't much of a trail per se, but just make sure you get back over the ridge and into the other basin before you drop into the trees... I'm not speaking from experience or anything. 8-[
"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
~Steve Jobs

Postby hvolmer » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:12 pm

Man, you guys are fast!! Thanks for that. I had actually just scanned that trip report and wasn't quite sure about where Bard landed.

It comes from Watrous along the south of Parnassus and Bard?

Postby Lemmiwinks » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:24 pm

Bard Trail runs parallel to I-70, just below treeline, on the south side of Parnassus and Bard. The trail does meetup with Watrous Gulch Trail.
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer

Postby hvolmer » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:28 pm

Lemmiwinks wrote:Bard Trail runs parallel to I-70, just below treeline, on the south side of Parnassus and Bard. The trail does meetup with Watrous Gulch Trail.

The 24K USGS map on my phone doesn't show anything there. Good to know.

Thanks folks!

Postby wildlobo71 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:32 pm

hvolmer wrote:

Man, you guys are fast!! Thanks for that. I had actually just scanned that trip report and wasn't quite sure about where Bard landed.

It comes from Watrous along the south of Parnassus and Bard?

Yes, it "appears" near the top of the plateau on the ridge my direction arrows say to aim for - once you see the cairns, scan to the west and down towards I-70 a bit and you will pick it up. It's faint.

Bard Creek Trail Info
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Postby onepeakatatime » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:44 pm

Much of the area below treeline is ugly and boring as you go up from Hermen Gulch. I was hiking there this morning. but keep pressing on and you will be rewarded! After about 3/4 mile the goes up Watrous Gulch. The views from that point make the effort more than wothwhile. Just have to take a little bad to get the good. A lot of the tree fall has been cleared away from the trail.

Postby hvolmer » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:45 pm

onepeakatatime wrote:Much of the area below treeline is ugly and boring as you go up from Hermen Gulch. I was hiking there this morning. but keep pressing on and you will be rewarded! After about 3/4 mile the goes up Watrous Gulch. The views from that point make the effort more than wothwhile. Just have to take a little bad to get the good. A lot of the tree fall has been cleared away from the trail.

We went up Hermans to the lake and up Pettingell, and down below the Citadel last weekend. I thought that was a wonderful hike (out of the boring trees that is). If the scenery and terrain is half as good, it will be great. So odd to be so close to highway and noise, and yet feel so small and disconnected.

Postby Derek » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:22 pm

More info if you want it from my loop of Bard/parn/woods/mache from Herman Gulch TH last summer. Fun loop.

http://coloradowilderness.weebly.com/6-14-2012.html

Nice trail all the way to treeline, see map. The descent from Machebuef wasn't the easiest, but you can skip that part of the loop and stick to trails if desired. Didn't have any downed tree issues that I recall....?

Next