Indian Peaks Current Conditions. Snow Oriented

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Danny504
14ers: 7 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Indian Peaks Current Conditions. Snow Oriented

Post by Danny504 »

Alex, as of now I'm heading up to S. Arapaho on Tuesday. I may do the traverse north, will let you know how it looks either way.
Brian C
14ers: 45  5 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (25)

Post by Brian C »

From a distance the Fair Glacier looks to be very filled in as of today.

Edit:

I apologize this photo only shows the top. I thought I had another but apparently don't. We did have a full view of it and it's solid snow the whole way.
IMG_0871.JPG
IMG_0871.JPG (210.27 KiB) Viewed 644 times
hardtryer
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hardtryer »

nice to see the snow hunters still getting good kills! that medicine bow area looks good! how far is that from foco?
killingcokes- what peak is that with the long snow field in the right of your picture from meeker?
Johnson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Johnson »

Queens Way is definately IN. We climbed it Friday.
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene
DaveJ
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DaveJ »

Was on S. Arapahoe 8am July 4 am, still some snow, see picture looking North on the ridge. Would have been nice to continue North but was unfamiliar with the route. [https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/773 ... rapaho.JPG][/img]
moon stalker
14ers: 58  3  47 
13ers: 270 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by moon stalker »

I did one of the southwest couloirs on Shoshoni on Saturday. There was a small section near the top that had melted out, didn't require me to remove my crampons though. There was a SWEET cornice on top, ranged from overhung to about 70 degrees along it's length. Climbing that cornice is worth dealing with a bit of melted out section, it was great.
LIFE is what happens when plans go awry.
scotty1974
Trip Reports (0)

Post by scotty1974 »

Skywalker is melting out fast. Within 5 days it was substantially diminished with the snow apron cut considerably shorter. Water is flowing under a 4 foot wide constriction...if you are going to get it, get it asap as it won't be long before the exits melt out. That being said there is still plenty enough snow to climb as of Friday, but it's been downpouring enough in the IPW that it won't last long.

Any latest beta on queensway or apache couloirs? Hoping to get up on Saturday.
Johnson
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Johnson »

Queens Way is In. We climbed it Friday.
TeamDino5280
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TeamDino5280 »

Johnson wrote:Queens Way is In. We climbed it Friday.
would you say it is still skiable?
hardtryer
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hardtryer »

Queens way couly is in, the whole peak is not.... I would say it IS NOT IN, as I skied it almost two weeks ago and had to downclimb after a small but steep patch of snow 15ft from the saddle. Yes it is still skiable but not from the top- isn't that what IN means?
This is obviously different if your climbing and not riding but I only would consider something IN if I could ski it for a long amount of time and not have to patch hop and demount off my snowboard.
THAT being sad, it still has some good snow on it and I managed to ski pretty much down to Lake Isabelle with some snow patch work. I was also up on Mt Toll this last Friday and it too is skiable but I wouldn't call it in...she was past her prime but still plenty fun.

Apache was a much shorter ski run than queens way, YES more steep but basically s**t out on the apron into a scree field. As of Friday 7-5, apache looked boney up top at the start of the couly and it shorted to scree at the apron.
Snow is melting fast in those parts.
Johnson
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Johnson »

Sorry... I don't ski. So "IN" for climbing to all of about 15 feet from the ridge. Definately NOT in from summit.
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene
killingcokes
14ers: 45  42  2 
13ers: 125 4
Trip Reports (64)

Post by killingcokes »

hardtryer - That is Hopi Glacier