Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Vestal basin conditions

Colorado 13er questions, conditions, and other info should be posted here. Also includes topics related to 13ers.com. 13er Trip Reports

Vestal basin conditions

Postby foxbox » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:59 am

Anyone been in the Vestal basin area and know how much snow is there? If not, how much snow does the basin/wham ridge usually hold? I'm thinking about possibly trying he route wary next week. Thanks.

Re: Vestal basin conditions

Postby Eph 2 5 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:50 pm

This picture might be helpful. I took it Sat., June 1st from Sultan.
vestal.JPG
vestal.JPG (256.84 KiB) Viewed 243 times
Vestal is in profile, but it looks fairly dry. I think some of the Wham Ridge route is in the area that's in shadow so it's kind of hard to tell how much snow is there.

Re: Vestal basin conditions

Postby Doug Shaw » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:06 pm

Eph 2 5 wrote:I think some of the Wham Ridge route is in the area that's in shadow so it's kind of hard to tell how much snow is there.

The face of Wham Ridge is in the light (descending from the second distinct summit from the right). The easiest route ascends the nearest sharp ridge along the face - the dividing line between light and shadow on that peak. Looks like there could be a few patches of snow near the top, but I doubt if it would be anything that couldn't be avoided or that would significantly increase the difficulty or gear requirements.