Anyone been on or near Thunder Pyramid lately?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
IHikeLikeAGirl
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 329
Trip Reports (6)

Anyone been on or near Thunder Pyramid lately?

Post by IHikeLikeAGirl »

Curious how much snow is on the trail and what the snow has been like on the west facing slopes.

I'm assuming the snow bridge over the creek is still, super in, correct?
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."
- Steven Wright
mtnmaneric
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 373
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Anyone been on or near Thunder Pyramid lately?

Post by mtnmaneric »

I climbed it on 5/25 and it was in really great shape, we had a really nice day. We did the west face and there was snow from the river, all the way to the summit ridge, then just a quick scramble to the summit. We started at 4:30am, and got back to the TH at about 2:00pm. The snow was firm all the way from the TH back to treeline, then it was pretty post-holey, which was to be expected. Here's a pic of the west face from treeline after descent, and a pic of the stream where the normal route crosses (I made a little splash on the way back...)
Attachments
west face
west face
west_face.jpg (86.29 KiB) Viewed 833 times
stream crossing
stream crossing
snow_bridge.jpg (127.71 KiB) Viewed 833 times
screeman57
14ers: 58  19 
13ers: 79 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by screeman57 »

Excellent, thanks. Heading up there on Sunday, if anyone wants to join.
“To be is to do”—Socrates.
“To do is to be”—Jean-Paul Sartre.
“Do be do be do”—Frank Sinatra.
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 652 118 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

What's the angle of the slope? Wondering if it might be skiable. Having hard time parting with my sticks - experiencing severe separation anxiety. lol. Thunder is on my list, thinking either this or next weekend.
mtnmaneric
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 373
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtnmaneric »

nkan02 wrote:What's the angle of the slope? Wondering if it might be skiable. Having hard time parting with my sticks - experiencing severe separation anxiety. lol. Thunder is on my list, thinking either this or next weekend.
it was around 38 degrees, plus or minus about 4 degrees depending on where you are in the couloir... it didn't soften up while we were on it, and we were down from the face by about 11:30am (approx).
SnowAlien
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

mtnmaneric wrote: it was around 38 degrees, plus or minus about 4 degrees depending on where you are in the couloir... it didn't soften up while we were on it, and we were down from the face by about 11:30am (approx).
Wow, that sounds perfect. Thanks so much for taking the slope measurements! :)
Brian Thomas
14ers: 58  9 
13ers: 130
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Brian Thomas »

I was with a group up there today and turned back just past the top of the white gully where it turns scrambly, because I just wasn't feeling it. There were several 14ers.com members on the mountain today who did summit, expecting trip report(s) may be forthcoming...
my turnaround point
my turnaround point
IMG_20130601_100307_107.JPG (121.56 KiB) Viewed 518 times
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan
Dancesatmoonrise
14ers: 58  43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (68)

Post by Dancesatmoonrise »

B, sorry to hear that. Glad you got down safely, and presume the rest of the gang as well? Looking forward to the TR.
Matt Lemke
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 116 11
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Matt Lemke »

Yeah Brian...sometimes I have those days where something just doesn't feel right. Well done for reading the thought. I'm interested to see how much snow is up there now
Lemke Climbs
The Pacific Coast to the Great Plains = My Playground
"Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping"
"When you come to face what you fear, let the creator guide you"
SnowAlien
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

Brian, I will be up for heading there soon. With or without skis, so keep me in mind if you head back there. Turning around if you are not enjoying it is the best thing to do. Cheers!