Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Grizzly Peak North of Durango

Colorado 13er questions, conditions, and other info should be posted here. Also includes topics related to 13ers.com. 13er Trip Reports

Grizzly Peak North of Durango

Postby kamiller43 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:00 pm

Anyone out there have some info about climbing the Grizzly Peak north of Durango? My understanding is that you turn in to Purgatory and drive for a while to a trailhead, continue on a trail to a moderate snow climb to the summit. Anyone been up there lately or have some beta? Thanks!

Re: Grizzly Peak North of Durango

Postby DaveLanders » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:29 pm

kamiller43 wrote:Anyone out there have some info about climbing the Grizzly Peak north of Durango? My understanding is that you turn in to Purgatory and drive for a while to a trailhead, continue on a trail to a moderate snow climb to the summit. Anyone been up there lately or have some beta? Thanks!

That's a nice concise summary of the route. The last time I was on that road to the trailhead it was really rough; lots of big potholes. 4wd not needed (the road isn't very steep),
but good clearance was an absolute must.

Re: Grizzly Peak North of Durango

Postby Furthermore » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:29 am

Here is my report from climbing Grizzly last summer. Snow climbing Grizzly would be highly recommended due to the rock quality. Also, that drive is over an hour from Purgatory; that road is sloooowww.

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=12292&parmpeak=1040&cpgm=tripmain&ski=Include