mount flora from fall river road

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

mount flora from fall river road

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

Does anyone know what the RT stats are for Mount Flora from the fall river road? I seem to recall when we skied Eva\Witter last year that we passed a sign off that road for Flora. I want to ski the east side of flora so I'm debating whether to do this from berthoud pass or fall river road. If we did it from BP, it looks like it'd be about 9 miles, 4000 vert, including about a 1500 foot ski and climb back up from the east side. What would it be from the Fall River side?

Thanks!
Mikeo
14ers: 6  3  1 
13ers: 16 7
Trip Reports (0)

Re: mount flora from fall river road

Post by Mikeo »

I made a go at that line in May of 11'. I camped on one of the spur roads from Bill Moore 4x trail. There was a ton of vert but, once you gain Breckenridge Peak it's an easy ridge walk. The skiing is fantastic with multiple pitches the best one was right above Bill Moore lake. Best of luck if you make a go at it, I'm sure you'll enjoy.
Mindy
14ers: 14 
13ers: 25 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mindy »

No stats, but this site could help you...

http://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=38.8,-98.4&z=5&b=t
SchralpTheGnar
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

thanks all, hard to tell but it looks like going from BP might be a little bit more of a sure bet, especially with road access this time of year.
Mikeo
14ers: 6  3  1 
13ers: 16 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mikeo »

Ok, I plotted up some specs for you on this one. I camped up on the Mad Creek rd just north of Empire at about 10k. The hike to the summit of Flora from that point is 3 miles and 3150ft vert. The descent down to Bill Moore lake is 3 1/2 miles and around 2700ft of skiing. About 1/2 mile of hiking gets you back around Breckenridge Peak. There was still a good amount of snow left that spring and I think I had maybe 500+ft of fun turns down to the snow line. Whichever way you approach the E face of Flora, it's a pretty cool feeling being up there knowing it doesn't get much ski traffic. And they views aren't bad either.
SchralpTheGnar
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

We're planning on doing this soon, I wonder how high you'd be able to drive within the next couple of weeks. I think BP is the least risky approach especially with that 4x4 road, but thanks for the beta. I too enjoy skiing in the fall river range.