Loveland pass/Mt snikatu

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
billdawg
14ers: 1 
Trip Reports (3)

Loveland pass/Mt snikatu

Post by billdawg »

Howdy all. I will be heading out there in a couple of days from NE, and I thought I'd give Snikatu & Cupid a try. It seems wind is an issue generally according to most TR's I've read. What is the elevation gain from the parking area. As a flatlander, that's always my biggest issue,lol
dehrlich101
14ers: 46  2 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (21)

Re: Loveland pass/Mt snikatu

Post by dehrlich101 »

billdawg wrote:. What is the elevation gain from the parking area. As a flatlander, that's always my biggest issue,lol
About 1300 ft of elevation gain, most of it is in the first mile.
I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in - Aldo Leopold

Support Colorado Search and Rescue - CORSAR Card

LOJ
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Random history factoid: "Sniktau" was the pen name of a newspaper columnist in Georgetown back in the mining days. He apparently nicked it from another jounalist from back east who called himself "Sniktaw", which is "Watkins" backwards.
source

Carry on. :mrgreen:

On a more useful note, you can get some idea of the likely wind from the point forecast for Loveland Pass. 15 mph is pretty normal in the winter, just for reference. This Saturday is looking uncommonly nice from three days out.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
gdthomas
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by gdthomas »

Since you asked about wind, the point forecast for Torrey's Peak which is right next to but 1,000 feet lower than where you'll be shows breezy/blustery conditions this weekend preceded by some pretty hefty winds through Friday evening. Here's the link to the NWS forecast:

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/weather.php?ltype=1#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I assume you've been tracking snow conditions in the Northern and Central mountains. With the recent snowfall we've had it's actually looking like the middle of winter in the Colorado high country.