Good Front Range Winter Options

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
colokeith
14ers: 39  2 
13ers: 34 3
Trip Reports (7)

Good Front Range Winter Options

Post by colokeith »

I am looking for some good options for summits close to the front range to stay in shape on this winter.

I would love any ideas, but ideally I would like
  • Max 1.5 hr drive from Denver
  • Low avy danger (I do not have a beacon)
  • 6-12 miles round trip from winter trail head
  • reasonably easy TH access (I have a 4 runner)
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 652 118 15
Trip Reports (111)

Re: Good Front Range Winter Options

Post by SnowAlien »

From the ones I've done, Grizzly peak D & Cupid (from Loveland pass), James Peak (from St. Mary's glacier), Silverheels, Hoosier Ridge (both from Hoosier Pass) seem to fit the bill. I am sure there are many more out there.
Last edited by SnowAlien on Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajkagy »

CO mines peak from berthoud pass
Mt. Sniktau from loveland pass

both are pretty short and can be combined with other peaks along the ridges.
http://wanderingthemountains.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
geojed
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138 13
Trip Reports (29)

Post by geojed »

Woods Creek Rd is plowed all winter to the Ruby Ck TH. This gets you access to:

Woods Mtn - 12,940 feet
Parnassus, Mt - 13,574 feet
Bard Pk - 13,641 feet
Robeson Pk - 13,140 feet
Engelmann Pk - 13,362 feet

Here's a TR where Boggy B connected all of them: http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.ph ... ki=Include" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Round-trip mileage: 10.6
Total elevation gain: ~6000'
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
mikemalick
14ers: 58  9 
13ers: 202 9
Trip Reports (8)

Post by mikemalick »

geojed wrote: Here's a TR where Boggy B connected all of them: http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.ph ... ki=Include" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for the reminder on that TR. As long as avy risk is low, I will be doing that loop this Winter.
geojed
Trip Reports (29)

Post by geojed »

Bummer. Monster 5 informed me of the closure of Woods Creek Rd unil next Spring due to Urad mining activity/construction.
Construction project occurring along the URAD / Woods Creek Road
Please be advised that the Climax Molybdenum Company has a construction project occurring along the URAD / Woods Creek road throughout the summer of 2012.
Because of this construction project, there will be no public access to Upper URAD Reservoir through the URAD Valley until spring of 2013.
Access will be restricted to authorized personnel only beginning June 4, 2012.
No camping is allowed on Climax lands or rights of way, and any vehicles preventing gate access will be towed at owners expense.
Guess I'll have to do this one from I-70 this Winter.
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 652 118 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

If I recall correctly, the route from I70 (Waltrous gulch, I believe) crosses a couple avy paths en route to Parnassus. You may encounter deep postholing too. Certainly keep an eye on amount of snow in that basin.
mikemalick
14ers: 58  9 
13ers: 202 9
Trip Reports (8)

Post by mikemalick »

Bummer indeed. Oh well.
geojed
Trip Reports (29)

Post by geojed »

nkan02 wrote:If I recall correctly, the route from I70 (Waltrous gulch, I believe) crosses a couple avy paths en route to Parnassus. You may encounter deep postholing too. Certainly keep an eye on amount of snow in that basin.
Depending on conditions, I'd probably head up the SE ridge of PT12,805 and hit it first to avoid those avy paths and then traverse to Woods/Parnassus/Bard. We'll see what this Winter brings! :-D
geojed
Trip Reports (29)

Post by geojed »

Not Front Range, and it is at the upper limit of 1.5hr drive time, but the West Ridge of Atlantic is a fun one. Mayflower Gulch TH is at 11,000ft. Plus if you get to Atlantic's summit for sunrise you get this incredible view.
Attachments
781873.jpg
781873.jpg (186.72 KiB) Viewed 2132 times
Papillon
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 324 7
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Papillon »

I put this list up a few months back. I'll leave the Sawatch peaks in to help anyone who might have a wider travel radius. Good luck.
These will go in the snowy season:

Twin Sisters
Estes Cone
Flattop-Hallett
Chief-Squaw-Papoose
Grizzly-Sniktau-Cupid
Lady W
Mines-Eva-Flora-Parry
Bald
Boreas
Peak 10
Peak 9
Northstar
Tweto
Mosquito-Treasurevault-London-Repeater
Evans B (13,577)
Quandary
Sherman
Decalibron from Moose Creek
Elbert
Pikes from Crags
Bierstadt
Evans
Square Top
Gray Wolf
Grays and Torreys (assess the slopes of Kelso)
Rogers and Warren (assess the slopes near Goliath)
La Plata (winter variation)
Fitzpatrick/12780
Tincup Peak and the adjacent unnamed 13er
Yale
Whale
Horseshoe
Buckskin via Loveland Mountain
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs
powhound
Trip Reports (0)

Post by powhound »

I see you live in Castle Rock. If you do not need a "big mountain, high altitude experience"...and are just looking for a quick calorie burn to keep in shape...consider Mt. Herman, right here in Monument. It is my "go to" mountain when I want to stretch out the legs. I've climbed it somewhere between 30 or 40 times...lost count. All the maps and books list only one trail... the standard trail from up Mt. Herman Rd. Avoid that ... it is too easy, as you drive off half the elevation gain. I have sniffed out 10 different routes. That keeps it fresh. The ones from the east side are the best. Short but plenty steep. 1,700 verts in a mile. Some offer a little scrambling. You have to poke around a bit to find them, but that just adds to the fun. There are options in the area to add verts and or mileage for a bigger workout. It is a great little mountain to climb for a quick fix, that doesn't consume more than half a day.