Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Mt. Audubon - Peak in Distance?

Colorado 13er questions, conditions, and other info should be posted here. Also includes topics related to 13ers.com. 13er Trip Reports

Mt. Audubon - Peak in Distance?

Postby aarontfields » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:05 pm

This is a long shot, however, would anyone know what peak this is in the distance? I was hiking Mt. Audubon and saw the peak from the trail. Is it another 13er? I'd like to hike it on my next trip out to CO. Thanks!!

http://www.14ers.com/images/userpics/2012/u22556p90_121026170125.jpg

Re: Mt. Audubon - Peak in Distance?

Postby clemsonmtneer » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:12 pm

That would be Mt. Toll. It's just under 13k, but there's a good class 2 route to the summit from Pawnee Pass.

Postby Brian C » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:17 pm

u22556p90_121026170125 copy.jpg
u22556p90_121026170125 copy.jpg (173.41 KiB) Viewed 1462 times

Trip report of doing them all in a day.
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth

Postby aarontfields » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:48 pm

Thanks everyone! It looks like a great climb!

Postby livetothemax96 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:08 pm

On the topic of Mt. Audubon, when i was climbing the class the ridge on the south side of Audubon's little east facing cirque, I spotted a narrow, high walled couloir on the north side, does anyone know what it is, or has anyone climbed it before?
whats life unless you live it?

Postby MtHurd » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:30 pm

Here is a pic of the route to Toll from Pawnee Peak. This was taken about this time of year in 2010. Paiute Peak is the next peak to the right before Audobon. You can see Longs off in the distance just to the right of Paiute Peak.

Toll, Paiute, Longs, and Audobon from Pawnee Peak.

Postby Floyd » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:52 am

livetothemax96 wrote:On the topic of Mt. Audubon, when i was climbing the class the ridge on the south side of Audubon's little east facing cirque, I spotted a narrow, high walled couloir on the north side, does anyone know what it is, or has anyone climbed it before?

Coney Couloirs? If so, they are in Roach's IPW book.
"Athletes express themselves physically, this is their art. As an athlete, exhausting oneself on the field or or on the track or on the trail or on the mountain brings calm and satisfaction. Thrashing about… our expression." - Steve Gleason

Postby ajkagy » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:18 pm

Floyd wrote:
livetothemax96 wrote:On the topic of Mt. Audubon, when i was climbing the class the ridge on the south side of Audubon's little east facing cirque, I spotted a narrow, high walled couloir on the north side, does anyone know what it is, or has anyone climbed it before?

Coney on the north side, crooked on the south side...both really nice ski descents
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby livetothemax96 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:17 pm

ajkagy wrote:
Floyd wrote:

Coney on the north side, crooked on the south side...both really nice ski descents

No, it isn't one of the Coney Couloirs or the Crooked Couloir. In Roaches book, he talks about a north facing couloir that goes up to the notch on the southeast ridge ( a really great route just fyi), but the couloir I was looking at is on the opposite side of that bowl, so it's south facing instead of north facing. i'll see if I got a picture of it.

Postby harrise » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:24 am

Here is looking down from roughly the 'x' above...

It looked about the same angle as Curvaceous. Went down it about 50' but the rest of the group was already out of earshot moving towards the standard trail so I went back to join them. Lots of loose tablet size stuff in the dry.

Postby livetothemax96 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:15 am

That would be the one! I've been trying to find some beta on it, but haven't found anything yet. Is it as inset as it looks?

Postby HikeforTurns » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:46 am

livetothemax96 wrote:That would be the one! I've been trying to find some beta on it, but haven't found anything yet. Is it as inset as it looks?

This one?