3 Centennial finishers on Rio Grande Pyramid

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Re: 3 Centennial finishers on Rio Grande Pyramid

Post by bergsteigen »

Congratulations! Fun list, looking forward to many of them! Good luck on the next 100 :mrgreen:
djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

Congratulations, guys! Awesome accomplishment.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

Sweet Job!!

Way to wave that hipster flag high and proud.

Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
Mindy
14ers: 14 
13ers: 25 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mindy »

Congratulations Wooderson, Papillon, and Chicago Transplant. Your dedication and style continue to motivate.
JosephG
14ers: 58  9 
13ers: 171
Trip Reports (9)

Post by JosephG »

Congrats!
Floyd
13ers: 100
Trip Reports (35)

Post by Floyd »

Congrats guys! So, Mike brought Godiva on the 13er half-way point ("L") and now Brownie Cake on the Cent finisher. I'll make sure I'm on the Bi- finisher to find out what's next...

After thinking about it, Papperson, I only accompanied you guys on Jagged, but Mike, hard to believe that I think I was only with you on 2 of the 100: Jagged and Culebra. And Culebra is kind of a stretch since you were a half-hour in front of me.

Congrats again you guys!! I'll raise a chocolate chip cookie as a toast to many more summits shared.
"Athletes express themselves physically, this is their art. As an athlete, exhausting oneself on the field or or on the track or on the trail or on the mountain brings calm and satisfaction. Thrashing about… our expression." - Steve Gleason
KatieFinn
14ers: 58  21 
13ers: 573 2 4
Trip Reports (3)

Post by KatieFinn »

Congrats! Nicely done!
mattpayne11
13ers: 111
Trip Reports (48)

Post by mattpayne11 »

What a killer mountain to finish on. I love that one.

Congrats to all three of you! Way to go!
mountainjam
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 124 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by mountainjam »

Congrats to the three of you on finishing the Centennials! Cool peak to finish on, well done!
The future is no place to place your better days. - Dave Matthews
SarahT
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 670 168
Trip Reports (75)

Post by SarahT »

Nice work you three! Sounds like a great way to finish.
Die Zeit ist unendlich lang und ein jeder Tag ein Gefäß, in das sich sehr viel eingießen lässt, wenn man es wirklich ausfüllen will.... Goethe
http://www.13ergirl.com/
USAKeller
14ers: 58  24  24 
13ers: 169 3 7
Trip Reports (46)

Post by USAKeller »

Mike, Sarah, and Kevin: another huge congrats on a great accomplishment! What a great peak/day/weekend/area to celebrate! Well done.

Here's a photo of them with Mike's most awesome City Market hand decorated brownies (read: #100 on RGP 9.2.12); they weren't those kinds of brownies, Kiefer! :)
Last edited by USAKeller on Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

Thanks everyone for your kind words and for all the support over the years! Two years ago when Kevin, Sarah and I first met on an ascent of Pigeon and Turret we started realizing that the "stars might align" for a group finisher. We were hoping Kevin Baker would make it a four-pack but we couldn't talk him into cherry picking Half on the drive over to RGP! This was his 99th, however, so a big congrats is in order for him as well on this trip.

It was a great group to share the finisher with, I'm glad you were all able to make the trip and share in this special milestone with us. I use the term milestone, because of course there are many more mountains to climb! In typical Chicago Transplant/Papillon/Wooderson form, we went from RGP right on to two more 13ers and a 12er and then more on Monday before the pack out.

The question always comes up of "whats next?". For me there are some local county and wilderness lists I am close to finishing on, otherwise just keep plugging away at the thirteeners. The highest 200 will happen eventually, but I probably won't plan trips around it specifically, those dominoes will fall as they may. It took 3 seasons to get the last 8 Centennials, with all those remote San Juan peaks and not wanting to "cherry pick". I guess that is what I get for saving all the remote and harder ones to the end, but I had a lot of great partners on the "Home Stretch" and a lot of great experiences. No need to rush, the journey is more important than the finish line. Keep climbing, I know will :-D
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day