Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Best Centennial 13er for fall colors?

Colorado 13er questions, conditions, and other info should be posted here. Also includes topics related to 13ers.com. 13er Trip Reports

Best Centennial 13er for fall colors?

Postby bad andy » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:51 pm

Within 2 hours (or so) of Golden?

Re: Best Centennial 13er for fall colors?

Postby denvermikey » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:53 pm

Grizzly pk A, on the way from Twin Lakes up Independence Pass should be awesome...
"Every man dies, not every man really lives" - William Wallace
"Because it's there" - George Mallory
"In the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years" - Abraham Lincoln
"You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough" - Mae West
"Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world." - Unknown

Postby 12ersRule » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:00 pm

Sunny1 did Hope solo last year in the fall. Said it was beautiful.

Postby Derek » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:04 pm

I did Lackawanna in winter, but I remember thinking that it would have been a nice fall hike due to all the aspens that we passed through on the South Slopes route.

--D
"All dolled up in gabardine..."

Postby jomagam » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:05 pm

49ersRule wrote:Sunny1 did Hope solo last year in the fall. Said it was beautiful.

Good for Sunny1, Hope Solo is beautiful. Luckily she's neither a centennial (centenerian?), not a 13er.

Postby denvermikey » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:11 pm

Can't wait til the day when I can say I did Hope solo...
"Every man dies, not every man really lives" - William Wallace
"Because it's there" - George Mallory
"In the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years" - Abraham Lincoln
"You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough" - Mae West
"Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world." - Unknown

Postby bad andy » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:45 pm

Thanks for the quick replies - keep em comin'!
I came real close to "doing Hope solo" last Saturday, but I stuck to my duties as a Hopeless Aid Station volunteer on the LT100, instead.
Those runners are amazing.

Postby Jim Davies » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:52 pm

Mt Ouray via the Grays Creek trailhead is pretty good. You hike through aspens for the first mile or so. I suppose on the way home you could drive out the west side of the Marshall Pass road, then back over Monarch Pass to see even more.

We did the drive the Stewart Creek TH last September (which is close to the Nutras Creek TH for centennial Stewart Peak), and the aspens were colossal along those remote back roads. It's more than two hours away, but might be worth the extra distance, especially if you can camp the night before your climb.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby highpilgrim » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:19 pm

Jim Davies wrote:Mt Ouray via the Grays Creek trailhead is pretty good. You hike through aspens for the first mile or so. I suppose on the way home you could drive out the west side of the Marshall Pass road, then back over Monarch Pass to see even more.

That road is absolutely lined with aspens for over twelve miles. I was thinking last spring when I drove through there it would be spectacular in the fall when the leaves light up.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Postby Jim Davies » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:26 pm

bad andy wrote:I came real close to "doing Hope solo" last Saturday, but I stuck to my duties as a Hopeless Aid Station volunteer on the LT100, instead.
Those runners are amazing.

I tried to do Hope solo, but happened to encounter the LT100 on the way down. Two's company, 500's a crowd. :)
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby mtgirl » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:09 pm

I'm sure lots of guys would like to "do" Hope Solo...... :lol:
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."

Postby Hoot » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:05 pm

I'll 3rd Ouray although it's a bit more than 2 hours from Golden. I climbed it on 6 Oct 2007 and the aspen leaves were mostly down by then that year. But I remember thinking that I need to return when the aspens are changing. Even if you miss the peak aspens - and the summit - the bristlecone pine forest at tree line is well worth the visit.

Next