Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

13ers.com

Colorado 13er questions, conditions, and other info should be posted here. Also includes topics related to 13ers.com. 13er Trip Reports
User avatar
Posts: 141
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:19 pm
Location: Denver, CO

Re: 13ers.com

Postby RyanSchilling » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:39 am

Presto wrote::shock: :roll: :? :wft: :-s

A word to the wise (or, in this case, maybe not so wise) ... not so smart to comment on topics of which you know very little or nothing about.

Just sayin. :-"


+1

User avatar
Posts: 2272
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:35 pm

Re: 13ers.com

Postby Matt » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:44 am

reinhold wrote:Dallas is a lot of fun, and the rock isn't that bad if you have decent routefinding skills. Don't discount it if you haven't tried it. "worst loose crappy rock on the planet"? Hardly... how about Pawnee Buttes as one example?


Yes, we very much enjoyed the 4th/low 5th class mud on East Pawnee Butte.

djkest wrote:
lordhelmut wrote:You could find over 58 13ers in the San Juans alone that are more interesting than any of the 14ers. But then again, as this forum has proven time and time again, people have convinced themselves Culebra is the coolest 14er they've done, so the 14ers vs. 13ers argument is pointless, as people's perspectives are what they are, no matter how puzzling.


I don't know what is more ridiculous. The 90% claim or your claims here. Culebra is the 4th least climbed and not in the top 10 "most liked" 14ers. #1 is Longs Peak by a wide margin, #2 is Crestone Needle. I'd take Longs Peak or Crestone Needle over Teakettle or Dallas any day. Have fun with some of the worst loose crappy rock on the planet with short class 5 pitches at the end. Both Longs and Crestone Needle have better class 5 routes on them than the afforementioned peaks, routes which have been deemed "classic" by mountaineering greats.

13ers are the Colorado equivalent of hipsters. "Oh the mountain I just climbed? You've probably never heard of it".

edit: fixed some punctuation

edit2: I just remembered Jagged, Pigeon, Turret, Arrow, Vestal, Garfield, Monitor- yes, those are some pretty cool mountains I hope to climb some day. Doesn't really change my point.


Kest, surely you Jest. Even if not, what's with the hostility?
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List

Re: 13ers.com

Postby lordhelmut » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:45 am

djkest wrote:
lordhelmut wrote:You could find over 58 13ers in the San Juans alone that are more interesting than any of the 14ers. But then again, as this forum has proven time and time again, people have convinced themselves Culebra is the coolest 14er they've done, so the 14ers vs. 13ers argument is pointless, as people's perspectives are what they are, no matter how puzzling.


I don't know what is more ridiculous. The 90% claim or your claims here. Culebra is the 4th least climbed and not in the top 10 "most liked" 14ers. #1 is Longs Peak by a wide margin, #2 is Crestone Needle. I'd take Longs Peak or Crestone Needle over Teakettle or Dallas any day. Have fun with some of the worst loose crappy rock on the planet with short class 5 pitches at the end. Both Longs and Crestone Needle have better class 5 routes on them than the afforementioned peaks, routes which have been deemed "classic" by mountaineering greats.

13ers are the Colorado equivalent of hipsters. "Oh the mountain I just climbed? You've probably never heard of it".

edit: fixed some punctuation


My claims came from a previous post that said that 90% of the 13ers are probably boring, so I took 90% of 584 and went from there, so my claims are based purely off math based on Nkan's post. I, personally, find the 13ers more interesting than the 14ers, and a bunch of people who have been on this site for a long time and progressed and/or moved on to 13ers, share similar sentiment. I hate using people's peak lists as an indication of what they've done, but it shows you've done 6 13ers, and you haven't done Teakettle or Dallas. If you have, and just haven't updated, I apologize for assuming. If not, then I suggest you go climb them and then make a more educated comparison. And which route on Longs would you take over Teakettle/Dallas? Keyhole or Loft? I could agree that Kiener's or Keyhole Ridge might be more interesting than Teakettle (I haven't done Dallas). And maybe I enjoy loose, crappy rock cause it creates a whole nother element of difficulty. I agree with people who prefer a trail as well, but I also enjoy bushwacking and route finding with a map or GPS.

The 13er hipster comment just goes to show you ignorant and narrow minded you really are. I, personally, can't stand hipsters and have never met a fellow 13er climber who resembled a hipster whatsoever.

User avatar
Posts: 2135
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:50 am
Location: SoSlo (South of Sloans Lake)

Re: 13ers.com

Postby wildlobo71 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:46 am



doubt this is needed, but I am not compelled to comment on "boring" or "exciting" 13ers otherwise; I can only pass that judgement after the work is done.
Last edited by wildlobo71 on Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

User avatar
Posts: 72
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:31 pm

Re: 13ers.com

Postby Crusty » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:47 am

There are no boring mountains, only boring people.

Crusty has spoken.

User avatar
Posts: 1441
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:58 pm
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: 13ers.com

Postby djkest » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:49 am

lordhelmut wrote:The 13er hipster comment just goes to show you ignorant and narrow minded you really are. I, personally, can't stand hipsters and have never met a fellow 13er climber who resembled a hipster whatsoever.


Not saying that 13er enthusiasts ARE hipsters. They are like hipsters in that they love obscurity- that's one of the "trademarks" of hipsters. But thanks for the personal insults based on your misunderstanding.

lordhelmut wrote:My claims came from a previous post that said that 90% of the 13ers are probably boring, so I took 90% of 584 and went from there, so my claims are based purely off math based on Nkan's post. I, personally, find the 13ers more interesting than the 14ers, and a bunch of people who have been on this site for a long time and progressed and/or moved on to 13ers, share similar sentiment.

Right, I know. And I think the 90% claim is silly. I'd say 60% or more of the 14ers are mundane hikes by the standard route. Which in no way relegates you to only those routes. 13ers? I don't know enough to make a claim. I might say 30% of them are mundane hikes. But I don't know.

I hate using people's peak lists as an indication of what they've done, but it shows you've done 6 13ers, and you haven't done Teakettle or Dallas. If you have, and just haven't updated, I apologize for assuming. If not, then I suggest you go climb them and then make a more educated comparison. And which route on Longs would you take over Teakettle/Dallas? Keyhole or Loft? I could agree that Kiener's or Keyhole Ridge might be more interesting than Teakettle (I haven't done Dallas). And maybe I enjoy loose, crappy rock cause it creates a whole nother element of difficulty. I agree with people who prefer a trail as well, but I also enjoy bushwacking and route finding with a map or GPS.


You are correct, 3 years ago today I had not climbed a single 14er. I was a video-game addicted couch potato who weighed 282 lbs. I haven't been climbing mountains on a regular basis for very long. And now I have an 8-month-old kid. I am basing my assumption on Teakettle and Dallas on trip reports I've seen on them. I hate loose rock. I also didn't like bushwhacking through the willows near Bierstadt. It adds difficulty, but isn't enjoyable.
Last edited by djkest on Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

User avatar
Posts: 1977
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:04 am
Location: Denver

Re: 13ers.com

Postby Presto » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:50 am

by Crusty » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:47 am
There are no boring mountains, only boring people.

Crusty has spoken.


:iluvu: =D> 8)
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM

Re: 13ers.com

Postby Furthermore » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:53 am

If you want to argue about class 5 routes, there is a spectacular array of class 5 routes on 13ers. Sure Dallas and Teakettle have class 5 but I don't think even close to matching class 5 routes on Ypsilon, Chiefs Head, Meeker, Pagoda, Tijeras, Vestal, Trinities, Lizard Head, Peak 15, Coxcomb, Sunlight Spire... Should I continue??

And if your looking for class 3-4 routes, I could list pages but clearly 14ers are far superior. Let's try to stay on focus here and see if we can beat the dead horse a bit more.

User avatar
Posts: 626
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:41 pm
Location: waiting to see if my doom is impending

Re: 13ers.com

Postby DeucesWild » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:56 am

djkest wrote:
lordhelmut wrote:The 13er hipster comment just goes to show you ignorant and narrow minded you really are. I, personally, can't stand hipsters and have never met a fellow 13er climber who resembled a hipster whatsoever.


Not saying that 13er enthusiasts ARE hipsters. They are like hipsters in that they love obscurity- that's one of the "trademarks" of hipsters. But thanks for the personal insults.


I thought Helmet's and Presto's comments were right on, Kester.

First, climb them and then make your pronouncements from more lofty ground.
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

www.deuceIRA.com. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!

Re: 13ers.com

Postby lordhelmut » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:57 am

djkest wrote:
lordhelmut wrote:The 13er hipster comment just goes to show you ignorant and narrow minded you really are. I, personally, can't stand hipsters and have never met a fellow 13er climber who resembled a hipster whatsoever.


Not saying that 13er enthusiasts ARE hipsters. They are like hipsters in that they love obscurity- that's one of the "trademarks" of hipsters. But thanks for the personal insults.


I guess its a lose lose then, cause if you are worried about being obscure, go climb the standard routes on the 14ers and join the hordes. But if you enjoy doing something off the beaten path, you will be, in some way or another, branded a hipster. Hipsters and climbing are a bit of an antithesis, so its a moot point. Are you saying I personally insulted you because you consider yourself a hipster or is calling someone ignorant and narrow minded considered an insult?

edit : I just read your previous edited post. Just go and climb some more 13ers. Sounds like you had fun in the mummies, so I imagine you can have fun elsewhere.
Last edited by lordhelmut on Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Posts: 1441
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:58 pm
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: 13ers.com

Postby djkest » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:58 am

DeucesWild wrote:
djkest wrote:
lordhelmut wrote:The 13er hipster comment just goes to show you ignorant and narrow minded you really are. I, personally, can't stand hipsters and have never met a fellow 13er climber who resembled a hipster whatsoever.


Not saying that 13er enthusiasts ARE hipsters. They are like hipsters in that they love obscurity- that's one of the "trademarks" of hipsters. But thanks for the personal insults.


I thought Helmet's and Presto's comments were right on, Kester.

First, climb them and then make your pronouncements from more lofty ground.


Like above 14,000 feet?
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

User avatar
Posts: 1441
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:58 pm
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: 13ers.com

Postby djkest » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:04 am

lordhelmut wrote:I guess its a lose lose then, cause if you are worried about being obscure, go climb the standard routes on the 14ers and join the hordes. But if you enjoy doing something off the beaten path, you will be, in some way or another, branded a hipster. Hipsters and climbing are a bit of an antithesis, so its a moot point. Are you saying I personally insulted you because you consider yourself a hipster or is calling someone ignorant and narrow minded considered an insult?


Of course calling someone ignorant and narrow minded is an insult.

How's this: "13er enthusiasts, who enjoy (among other things) obscurity and solitude, could be compared to hipsters, who tend to enjoy obscure non-commercialized music, that goes overlooked by the majority of the population. Similarly, 13er enthusiasts enjoy mountains that go relatively un-noticed by the majority of hikers and climbers in Colorado". Hopefully that makes my point clear, but maybe not.

edit1: Since you asked which route I prefer on Longs, I have only done the Keyhole so far, as it was my FIRST 14ER, but what I'm saying is that there are a myriad of options for reaching the summit or just having a good time. I hope to do the Loft and the Cables route someday. I also want to do the Keyhole again to improve on my time and experience it again with a different perspective.
Last edited by djkest on Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests