Forum
Your purchase of a synthetic or cotton shirt helps support 14ers.com. Thank you!

Other ways to help...

13ers.com

Colorado 13er peak questions, condition requests and other info, including topics related to 13ers.com. 13er Trip Reports, Condition Reports

Re: 13ers.com

Postby djkest » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:24 pm

ChrisRoberts wrote:From my limited perspective, it sounds like 14ers are pretty easy once you learn some basic climbing skills. I mean, how many standard routes on 14ers have legitimate bushwhacking? I cant think of any. Seems pretty cushy to have well marked routes on every single 14er...

As you drop into 13, 12, 11ers the trails disappear for the most part. They may be class 2, but you have to know how to routefind and not get lost. Theres some pretty tough class 2 peaks out there, and I never find them boring.

(Maybe this year I'll look back on all of my peaks and calculate what percentage of my annual distance was offtrail/bushwhacking)

So much wrong with this statement, where do I start? There isn't a "well marked trail" on every section of every 14er, and there are lots of misleading climber's trails to boot. I think the best way to make a judgement on the difficulty of the 14ers is to have experienced all of them.

Bushwacking isn't hard, it just sucks. Also, if you find the standard routes "too easy" on 14ers, there are always more interesting non-standard routes. You don't get a lot of "bushwacking" on 14ers because they are so far above treeline...

Easy is entirely a matter of perspective. For at least 1/2 the population in Colorado, Mt. Elbert would be "impossible". Then again it's your opionion, I guess mine just differs.
Last edited by djkest on Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby Scott P » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:25 pm

And this is again just my stupid opinion, but if you want to say "Ive climbed all of the __ers" you need to climb all of the named ones, ranked or not.

I would have to disagree. Some of the most spectacular mountains in Colorado are un-named while some named ones are mundane. Most of the Gores, for example are officially un-named and are real ranked peaks, while Cameron is a named peak. Whether or not a peak is named shouldn't be a criteria on what is and what isn't a mountain.

Some good points in your posts though.
Last edited by Scott P on Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby MatB » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:27 pm

Damn Kansas, I really could of used that photo on Sunday :wink:

Completing 14ers was my original goal but I don't like sharing a summit with 20 other people and don't have the gear or knowledge to climb them in the winter. If you like solitude, 13ers are where its at. I also feel it is safer to climb on certain terrain when the only thing kicking rocks down are goats and marmots.
"Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived,'"
- Dalai Lama, when asked about what surprises him the most about humanity

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:37 pm

I started 13ers.com as a companion to 14ers.com so peak photos and maps could be shared for the 13ers, many of which are close to 14ers. I never planned on creating a detailed guidebook as found on 14ers.com but did implement a route contribution system, which is hardly used. Personally, I'd like to see more route info out there but at the same time I like the fact that 13er info is more scarce.

I'll continue to add photos, maps, 360-degree summit panos and the occasional route description but prefer to focus my attention on 14ers.com.

Postby Jim Davies » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:52 pm

KyleS wrote:However, if more information was available on 13ers, particularly the class 2 ones near the major population centers, perhaps the 14ers wouldn't be as overrun to begin with.

My wife and I have organized and led a number of hikes for a local Boy Scout troop. When we schedule a 14er, we'll usually get about 10 people to do the hike, and often 20 or 30. On the few occasions when we've done a 13er hike, we generally get 1 or 2 (and once zero). Most people don't think 13ers are "real mountains".
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby Monster5 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:56 pm

I don't like detailed descriptions as they portray routes as more complicated and less fun than they would be intuitively. Similar to above, I just want to know if something doesn't go (reasonably).

You know what I'd love? A compilation of pure topo maps with the routes color coded by difficulty. Similar to Roach's topos with perhaps a one-liner of TH, vert., mileage, and max difficulty. But no text descriptions. Don't spoon feed me. Perhaps a call-out on the map at crux spots. With all of the combinations/nearby peaks, I think the map collection could be kept at a couple hundred pages.

Presently, 13ers.com seems just about perfect with the "nearby peaks" tool and TR compilation. We still have to do our own research for anything more.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:06 pm

Monster5 wrote:But no text descriptions. Don't spoon feed me.

One good thing about anything you'll find on 14ers.com or 13ers.com is that it can always be ignored. I promise I won't email you route descriptions with "Must Read" in the subject. :P

Postby SnowAlien » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:13 pm

lordhelmut wrote:There are boring 14ers, but based on numbers alone, there are a ton of boring 13ers (depending on perspective).

Thank you for saying that. My guess is about 90% of them?
FireOnTheMountain wrote:But 90% of the boring 13ers can be linked with neighboring boring 13ers!!

and? this makes them less boring? To me that would be boredom^squared or tripled or quadrupled or whatever! :)

I really don't get this hoopla about 13ers. But maybe because I am slow. Bushwhacking sucks. Off-trailing sucks (I love my knees too much). Just because a mountain is a 13er, it does not make it interesting by default (at least to me). And if somebody is afraid of crowds on 14ers, I have to let out a huge secret - do non-standard routes. We were the only 2 people on Longs (!) on Sunday (!) on the 2nd easiest route on the mountain (Loft). Same thing on Quandary last weekend (West ridge). There is just nobody around if you are willing to step off a beaten path (Edited to clarify: on a 14er). The bonus - I already know where the TH is and if my car can make it there or not.

P.S. Disclaimer 1: I am willing to do 10% of interesting 13ers and probably some of the less interesting with snow. But I have no interest whatsoever to do all of them.
Disclaimer 2: There are boring 14ers too :)
Last edited by SnowAlien on Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby Monster5 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:15 pm

Haha solid point. But the temptation - like watching a kitten play near the edge of a pool.

BillMiddlebrook wrote:
Monster5 wrote:But no text descriptions. Don't spoon feed me.

One good thing about anything you'll find on 14ers.com or 13ers.com is that it can always be ignored. I promise I won't email you route descriptions with "Must Read" in the subject. :P
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich

Postby Boggy B » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:53 pm

nkan02 wrote:I really don't get this hoopla about 13ers. ...

-1 :!:

No offense, Nat. You aren't trolling right? It's true, there are lots of "boring" 13ers; I fix them by going in winter. As for the rest--the majority in my experience so far--of the 13ers, it's very easy to find scrambling, and trails! The worst bushwhack I've encountered so far this year was going up Harvard and Columbia from Frenchman Creek on Sunday.

Also you just said this:
nkan02 wrote:Bushwhacking sucks. Off-trailing sucks

And this:
nkan02 wrote:There is just nobody around if you are willing to step off a beaten path.

So which is it? :-s :P :lol:

Postby Boggy B » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:59 pm

Scott P wrote:Some of the most spectacular mountains in Colorado are un-named while some named ones are mundane.

My favorite 13er is Mount Cosgriff.

Postby FireOnTheMountain » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:28 pm

Boggy B wrote:there are lots of "boring" 13ers; I fix them by going in winter. As for the rest--the majority in my experience so far--of the 13ers, it's very easy to find scrambling, and trails!

So true! I have a bunch on my list that I would never dream of touching in the summer. Winter just kicks everything up a notch.

Also, seeing that I am really into endurance, riding a ridge for as long as possible is uber fun for me...or just plain running the mountain!

bergsteigen wrote:Now I barely pay attention to route descriptions in TR's, only looking if a ridge "will go".

+ \:D/

Sometimes I don't even go through TR's in depth even if they are there just to get the surprise. A notable one was the Williams Traverse I did not too long ago. Had I read into Furthermore's TR more, I would of found that this ridge was not all that straightforward. O well, had a great day in the hills!
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the CO

PreviousNext