Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

13ers.com

Colorado 13er questions, conditions, and other info should be posted here. Also includes topics related to 13ers.com. 13er Trip Reports

Re: 13ers.com

Postby davebks » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:09 pm

ha, you.
I hear ya on the routes and route finding. I have no issue with finding my own way. That makes for a really fun day too sometimes. Mostly its about figuring out which one to do. Some beta at least helps narrow down the choices because let's be honest, it's not the golden age of 13ers. Somewhere out there, someone probably did the climb. At least a main route which can help narrow down so the day isn't a total loss.
You know what I'm saying...
Anyway, sarcasm aside from everyone good info in here.

Postby bergsteigen » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:22 pm

davebks wrote: Mostly its about figuring out which one to do.

Which one? With 584, there are plenty of choices. I started off picking ones in the Front Range, next to 14ers, where I knew the routes would be simple. Then I started searching the TR database for Furthermore, Kevin Baker and Chicago Transplant TR's. At first only using the ones that had maps, later ones with only descriptions. Then I bought the trails illustrated Nat Geo maps, and looked for trails next to the 13ers I was interested in. Now I barely pay attention to route descriptions in TR's, only looking if a ridge "will go".

So pick a range and start clicking on peaks!
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)

http://otinasadventures.com

Postby KyleS » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:32 pm

Pfft the 15ers I've seen have friggin gondolas on them.

But seriously, this issue is a catch 22.
I, too, have put 14ers on hiatus for the busy season and have been enjoying the solitude of the 13ers. I, too, enjoy how the route finding enhances the sense of serenity and adds another aspect of difficulty. And I, too, would hate to see the 13ers overrun like the 14ers.

However, if more information was available on 13ers, particularly the class 2 ones near the major population centers, perhaps the 14ers wouldn't be as overrun to begin with. And given the sheer number of 13ers out there, certainly the crowds could be spread much more sparsely. With that in mind, I would be willing to contribute to Terry's suggestion about writing Route Descriptions for 13ers.

Barring something of that magnitude, really the only improvement I'd make to 13ers.com is the ability to sort by difficulty. Quite a few times, I've gotten 3 TRs deep before realizing that the route up a particular mountain is much easier or harder than what I was looking for and had to start over with a different mountain. There are just so many 13ers (particularly down here in the southern mountains) that trying to research all of them is impossible.

Postby Floyd » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:39 pm

KyleS wrote:trying to research all of them is impossible.

Nope, all you need is for your company to declare BK and have nothing to do at your desk for a few months. You'd be amazed at how well that works. How Chicago Transplant came to his knowledge base? Well, I dunno but his mind is a trap. Maybe it took him an afternoon?
"Athletes express themselves physically, this is their art. As an athlete, exhausting oneself on the field or or on the track or on the trail or on the mountain brings calm and satisfaction. Thrashing about… our expression." - Steve Gleason

Postby davebks » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:40 pm

I really believe that you could put arrows actually on the 13er trails and it would still be a 1/4 the traffic. There are sites like protrails.com that have amazing beta on hikes and peaks and I still don't see people on them like the 14ers. People just want to climb the highest, especially since there is a limited number of them.

Postby mattpayne11 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:50 pm

13ers are boring, trust me 8)

Honestly... less people = less info... which in a lot of ways is a good thing. That's why I love 13ers - more challenging, usually. More adventurous feeling to them.

I try to put up TRs for obscure 13ers, but mine are less obscure usually as they are Centennials. Only 20 ish left for me.

Postby Chicago Transplant » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:24 pm

I think the fact there are 584 of them vs 53 (the number I use) of 14ers is what keeps people off 13ers. People have a hard enough time committing to doing just the 53, 584 is too daunting to even think about. I have done 337 and still don't know if I am really trying to climb them all or not, there are so many in the SJs (250) that no matter how many trips you make down there, you seem to never really be making a dent! Especially now that I am running out of 13ers within 2 hours of my house, I sense a lot of repeats in my future... luckily I live in the "Dagobah System" so that is not so bad a proposition :)

As to the knowledge base, I am a mountain sponge. Every summit I stand on I look at everything surrounding me and try my best to pick out routes to the neighboring peaks across the valley, for the stuff I haven't been around, TRs are a great place to get ideas! I don't know where I fit all these little factoids in the brain, but I must be bumping something out. Must be stuff from high school I don't use that is getting bumped out?

If you want a good place to start, stick close to where you live. There are many class 2 13ers that have good access and trails that get you to treeline in every range. From treeline on a clear day, you just head straight up the tundra or talus zig zagging as you need to avoid large boulders or to keep the strain down on your calves - or you can find a nice looking ridge and following it to the top. Sometimes there are some surprises and a seemingly easy peak may catch you, but in general there are plenty of class 2 peaks to be found. 13ers near 14ers are good to start with too, just look at your pictures from the 14er climbs you have done, and I am sure there are some 13ers in the background you can start to piece routes up from your images. Have fun!

PS - 12ers are fun too, there are even more of them (676) and even less people on them. Closer to treeline too, so on a questionable weather day you can get back below treeline easier...
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Postby Scott P » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:31 pm

PS - 12ers are fun too, there are even more of them (676) and even less people on them. Closer to treeline too, so on a questionable weather day you can get back below treeline easier...

Doing all the 6ers and 7ers would be incredibly impressive. :D Even if you do just the ones in Moffat County. Far harder than the 12ers, 13ers or 14ers.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby lordhelmut » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:31 pm

Chi Transplant is right, 584 is a daunting number. When a person commits to a list of that magnitude, they are basically consciously saying goodbye to their knees. There are boring 14ers, but based on numbers alone, there are a ton of boring 13ers (depending on perspective).

Postby FireOnTheMountain » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:53 pm

lordhelmut wrote:There are boring 14ers, but based on numbers alone, there are a ton of boring 13ers (depending on perspective).

But 90% of the boring 13ers can be linked with neighboring boring 13ers!!
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the CO

Postby ChrisRoberts » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:09 pm

From my limited perspective, it sounds like 14ers are pretty easy once you learn some basic climbing skills. I mean, how many standard routes on 14ers have legitimate bushwhacking? I cant think of any. Seems pretty cushy to have well marked routes on every single 14er...

As you drop into 13, 12, 11ers the trails disappear for the most part. They may be class 2, but you have to know how to routefind and not get lost. Theres some pretty tough class 2 peaks out there, and I never find them boring.

(Maybe this year I'll look back on all of my peaks and calculate what percentage of my annual distance was offtrail/bushwhacking)
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
Read all about my schemes and adventuring at NoCo Chris Latest TR: Kansas City for the summer

Postby ChrisRoberts » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:15 pm

And this is again just my stupid opinion, but if you want to say "Ive climbed all of the __ers" you need to climb all of the named ones, ranked or not. So for me, this means there are more than 584 13ers.
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
Read all about my schemes and adventuring at NoCo Chris Latest TR: Kansas City for the summer

PreviousNext