Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

13ers.com

Colorado 13er questions, conditions, and other info should be posted here. Also includes topics related to 13ers.com. 13er Trip Reports

Re: 13ers.com

Postby MonGoose » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:29 am

d_baker wrote:
FireOnTheMountain wrote:13ers are a waste of time

yup -- pretty much.
they're getting overcrowded. ;)

They're so crowded no one climbs them anymore.

Postby globreal » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:34 am

davebks wrote:I wouldn't know where to begin on a lot of them.

A lot of people gravitate to The Centennials (the highest 100 ranked peaks in Colorado) after finishing the 14ers. That's become my goal after the 14ers. It's been a natural progression and a way to continue to climb and still have a goal. It been an awesome journey! Many of these high 13ers are more difficult than the 14ers by remoteness, route finding, and technical requirements. I've enjoyed these high 13ers every bit as much as the 14ers.
Luke 1:30 The angel said to her, "Do not be afraid, Mary; for you have found favor with God. 31 "And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall name Him Jesus.

34 Mary said to the angel, "How can this be, since I am a virgin ?"

37 "For nothing will be impossible with God."

Postby Chicago Transplant » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:36 am

If I do post, its usually as a trip report and not as a route description. I tend to focus on route on my TRs in those cases, and hopefully people find that useful. I think the route descriptions are hard to do partly because I tend to combine the peaks and partly because the routes in the trees are often off trail and not in good light for photography. Also, the lack of a standard route and just me "winging it" could lead people to question why they are following my route, there might be better options than the way I went. Also, I don't think my route descriptions would be too worthy compared to the high quality standard Bill has on the 14ers. I did do one for Matterhorn though that I think came out okay. I have thought of adding more, but when I get home and go through my pics/notes, I usually decide I am missing too many images to provide a clear enough description to match the quality and detail expectations people have from Bill's work.

Most routes can be figured out on the fly anyway, especially for the class 2 peaks. A map and a trailhead are about all you need. Usually a 13er route for me is like this: Start at "X" trailhead, follow trail/creek to (cardinal direction) slope/ridge, follow grass/talus/scree to summit, retrace to descend."

On the class 3 and 4 and up ones, its nice to know that its going to be rated that way, but even then it would be "follow ridge crest, class 3, to summit. You may have to drop to the right or left occasionally to avoid a notch/tower"

That will pretty much get you up most 13ers. If you look at my list and see any peaks you are interested in that I have done, just PM me and I will try and get you a description of my route and the TH access to point you in the right direction.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Postby lordhelmut » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:44 am

bergsteigen wrote:
d_baker wrote:
FireOnTheMountain wrote:13ers are a waste of time

yup -- pretty much.
they're getting overcrowded. ;)

I saw 3 other people in the Degobah Range on Sat, quite unacceptable!

Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering.

--YODA, Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace

This is how I usually feel when climbing in the Degobah Range. I'll take it one step further and say suffering leads to nerd raging on the local flora when finding yourself way off-route and bushwacking.

Postby gdthomas » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:46 am

bergsteigen wrote:I enjoy doing the 13ers because there are NO route descriptions or blue lines on a map/photo...

+1

Postby BobbyFinn » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:54 am

jsdratm wrote:I did Argentine Peak on saturday and saw only two other people. Just a few miles away, Bierstadt probably had 100 or more people. The 13ers get much less traffic than the 14ers, which makes the experience much more enjoyable for me.

I was also on Argentine Peak on Saturday. I think you underestimated the crowd on Beirstadt - when we got to the Guanella Pass parking lot, there were cars still parked on the road, and that was at about 4:30 pm...

The 13er TRs seem to be written, more often than not, with enough detail that you can follow what the author did. It's not as clear as Bill's descriptions, but I think that's part of the fun. It is interesting that the 14er descriptions are so clear, yet the hike is almost always on a well-beaten trail with a cairn every 20 yards (seemingly), yet the 13ers without trails have less detail in their descriptions. I think that's on purpose...
"Mind what you have learned. Save you it can." - Yoda
"Rudeness is a weak person's imitation of strength." - Paul Arel

Postby benners » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:13 pm

gdthomas wrote:
bergsteigen wrote:I enjoy doing the 13ers because there are NO route descriptions or blue lines on a map/photo...

+1

I'd have to agree. I was just saying to Helmut yesterday that the absence of route descriptions/thirty photos with arrows drawn in at every possible trail junction/crux section on each peak is what makes 13ers.com and the 13ers very interesting to me at this stage of my mountaineering walk. I find 13ers.com to be perfect the way it is, as it requires an aspiring 13er hiker to dig for information, study topo maps, read 13er trip reports (which are generally quite good), and in general do more research than a 14er hike requires. I also understand that if route descriptions exist I'm not required to look at them, but even so with descriptions present there'd be less of a "go out there and figure it out" mindset required to climb many of the 13ers, which would in turn lead to more traffic and less respect for the peaks. Heading out there somewhat unsure of what to expect has been very refreshing to me. IMO the presence of a step by step online guide to the 13ers would do a disservice to them, but that's just my opinion and I'm sure others may disagree.
Last edited by benners on Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby d_baker » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:19 pm

bergsteigen wrote:I saw 3 other people in the Degobah Range on Sat

I can't find that on 13ers.com.
Where is that?
Seriously, where is it? If it's a secret, pm me. ;)
Please. thanks.
(And I didn't really look on 13ers.com)

One more thing, I think anyone that wants to do 13ers, whether in conjunction w/14ers or after they "finish" the 14ers, they should start to rely on common sense and map skills and route finding without gps, pictures with arrows, and beaten paths like found on 14ers.
If you're using Bill's descriptions w/pictures & arrows for the 14ers, do yourself a favor and challenge yourself once in a while and try to route find on your own, or just by using a 'word description.' Or do a non-standard route on a 14er.
The skills you'll develop by doing so will help you when/if you decide to go up 13ers.
Knowing how to look at a section of terrain and assess whether you can safely go up and come down it is key in climbing the tougher peaks.

If you're having a difficult time deciding where to start with 13ers, grab a map and throw a dart -- you'll hit one eventually.

Postby ChrisRoberts » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:20 pm

Pfffft 12ers are where its at.
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
Read all about my schemes and adventuring at NoCo Chris Latest TR: Laramie-Poudre Tunnel and UN 10060

Postby TravelingMatt » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:34 pm

ChrisRoberts wrote:Pfffft 12ers are where its at.

Pffft, you want a real challenge with guaranteed solitude, do a 15er.
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

Postby kansas » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:48 pm

davebks wrote:Anyone know why 13ers.com doesn't seem to be keeping pace with 14ers.com?
It seems to me that there are SO many 13ers but I wouldn't know where to begin on a lot of them. I'd love to see that site develop into something like this one.
Maybe I am missing something though.
I know there are a LOT of 13ers but little by little we could hammer out routes and stuff. I'd be willing to help.

Just a thought. :wft:

Does this help?
Attachments
detailed route description.jpg
Detailed Grand Traverse info...shhhh
detailed route description.jpg (61.96 KiB) Viewed 133 times
"In the end, of course, it changed almost nothing. But I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams."
— Jon Krakauer

Postby Lemmiwinks » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:55 pm

d_baker wrote:
bergsteigen wrote:I saw 3 other people in the Degobah Range on Sat

I can't find that on 13ers.com.
Where is that?
Seriously, where is it? If it's a secret, pm me. ;)
Please. thanks.
(And I didn't really look on 13ers.com)

People climbed mountains there a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer

PreviousNext