Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

13ers.com

Colorado 13er questions, conditions, and other info should be posted here. Also includes topics related to 13ers.com. 13er Trip Reports

Re: 13ers.com

Postby Ridge runner » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:01 am

I like 14ers.
I like 13ers.
I like peaks below 13k.
I don't mind crowds.
I don't mind solitude.
I like trails.
I like bushwhacking.
I will do repeats.
I don't care what my peak list says.
I don't care what your peak list says.

Colorado is awesome. And Zombieland was surprisingly a great movie.

Postby wooderson » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:03 am

AndYouSeeMe wrote:Ben, that was the perfect post. It stated exactly how I feel but am not eloquent enough to put into words myself, well done! =D>

And Sarah, if that is the definition we are going by I would be happy to be called a hipster as well(NEVER thought I would say that!) :)

yeah, it's a heck of a lot better than ironic mustaches, skinny jeans and PBR... 8)

and back to the original topic, anyone who thinks a hike up any mountain in Colorado is boring has obviously never hiked in Michigan! (not that there aren't nice areas up north, but you get my drift...)

Postby FireOnTheMountain » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:04 am

Ridge runner wrote:I like 14ers.
I like 13ers.
I like peaks below 13k.
I don't mind crowds.
I don't mind solitude.
I like trails.
I like bushwhacking.
I will do repeats.

Meow Mix, Meow Mix please deliever?
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the CO

Postby Scott P » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:07 am

Just climb what you want. :D

Anything from 1ers to 29ers are still good. I like very obscure peaks (perhaps my favorite), but I've much enjoyed meeting other people on the mountains as well. Some of the people I met in the mountains years ago are still friends.

The hardest mountain I ever climbed was a 2er (although can anyone really count it if they didn't follow the 3000 foot rule?).

Himalayas, Gore Range, Cascades, Andes, Southern Alps, Coast Range, Colorado Plateau, 13ers, 14ers, east to west, Arctic to tropics, alpine to desert, etc., etc. all have good stuff. I still won't do all the Kansas county highpoints :-$ , but if it your cup of tea, go for it. :wink:

There are so many different mountains out there to climb that it sounds silly to debate which ones are best. We all have our own favorites. :D

(Edit: Looks like Ridgerunner beat me to the punch. Exactly how I feel too-except for the Zombie land stuff-I don't even know what that is). :D
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby Boggy B » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:09 am

benners wrote:After delving into the 14ers for a much longer period of time than I probably should have, and then transitioning to 13ers, I can honestly say I prefer 13ers. The reason for this isn't because 13ers are more obscure or overlooked by the majority, or because I'm making some form of "fashion statement" by hiking them, but simply because the 14ers got old after awhile and I wanted to go after something new and refreshing. The facts that 13ers are significantly less crowded and there is far less info on them are just bonuses, but both of those reasons for preferring 13ers to 14ers are completely legitimate. If you used to enjoy solitude and a small sense of pioneering mentality on 14ers which are now being literally overrun by the masses, it's only logical to part ways with them and look for an experience that more closely resembles that which you originally enjoyed about climbing peaks. In summer in Colorado in 2012, the only place this can be done is on the 13ers, unfortunately. The reasoning I listed above is not just unique to myself, but many others as well. I'd venture to guess that many people who now solely climb 13ers were once 14er fanatics that either got burned out, or the increase in 14er popularity Colorado has seen in the past several years has required them to adapt their interests, or both. That is, 13ers for most are much less about a fashion statement or pursuing the obscure for the sake of standing out as different, and much more about simply trying to find some solitude and sense of adventure in the mountains.

Exactly. The hipster analogy is fail. We don't like obscure peaks because they're obscure; we like obscure peaks because of what makes them obscure.

Postby kansas » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:15 am

Scott P wrote: I still won't do all the Kansas county highpoints

Elitist.
"In the end, of course, it changed almost nothing. But I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams."
— Jon Krakauer

Postby KeithK » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:43 am

I like 13ers.
I like peaks below 13k.
I don't mind crowds.
I don't mind solitude.
I like trails.
I like bushwhacking.
I will do repeats.

Steph, you'll always be one of my favorite 14ers.com voices of reason. We need you around here.
Snow is dumb.™

Postby bergsteigen » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:57 am

I like 13ers.
I like peaks below 13k.
I don't mind crowds.
I don't mind solitude.
I like trails.
I like bushwhacking.
I will do repeats.

Awesome! I'd like to add to this list

I like to ski big peaks
I like to ski small peaks
I like to ski
I like to snow climb
I like to rock climb
I like to ride my bike
I like to kayak/canoe on occasion
I like to sit on my couch and watch football and drink a beer, recovering from a fun weekend outside

So let's have FUN doing what each of us likes and not *&^# on what other people like to do with their free time!
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)

http://otinasadventures.com

Postby MatB » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:15 am

So let's have FUN doing what each of us likes and not *&^# on what other people like to do with their free time![/quote]

+1 :D
"Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived,'"
- Dalai Lama, when asked about what surprises him the most about humanity

Postby mtgirl » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:18 am

I like 13ers.
I like peaks below 13k.
I don't mind crowds.
I don't mind solitude.
I like trails.
I like bushwhacking.
I will do repeats.

Couldn't agree more ! =D>
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."

Postby MatB » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:31 am

I find it quite amusing that 13er enthusiast (and I consider myself) keep trying to defend and sell climbing 13ers. I know I love them for many of the reasons already mentioned, but I truly appreciate the solitude of having the wilderness all to yourself and whomever is in your group. So if others aren't fond of 13ers or the idea of hiking 13ers, who cares (although I never thought I'd be referred to as a hipster). More for us.
"Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived,'"
- Dalai Lama, when asked about what surprises him the most about humanity

Postby davebks » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:42 am

uh... so what you are saying is that some 13ers have trip reports and others don't, some have trails, and some don't? Some of you love them and some of you don't? Is that the gist of what I am gathering from the over 110 responses to my original question? 8-[
Hahaha.....

I just want to be outside, that's really what it comes down to for me. outside and hopefully exploring some new areas or revisiting the places I love. My goal was to get a read on some good ones to focus on. Really I was thinking if some had a nice trail I could take my dog on, that would be cool (since I don't really want to bring him on 14ers), but also for my own exploration without him.

PreviousNext