Congrats to Doug Hatfield-Centennial Finisher!

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Rainier_Wolfcastle
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 260 10
Trip Reports (11)

Re: Congrats to Doug Hatfield-Centennial Finisher!

Post by Rainier_Wolfcastle »

Congratulations Doug =D> =D> !

We were suprised to meet anyone 100 feet from the summit of Teakettle, much less someone about to finish the Centennials!!!

Nice job!

Shawn
Shawn
14erFred
14ers: 51 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14erFred »

Congrats on this tremendous achievement, Doug! Well done! =D>
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius
I Man
14ers: 58  49 
13ers: 74 7
Trip Reports (30)

Post by I Man »

Congrats on this amazing achievement. The Colorado 100 - a worthy endeavor, for sure.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
dmccool
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dmccool »

Wonderful achievement, many congrats! =D>
Save a place for me up in the high country.
There's still space to breathe.

- Gregory Alan Isakov
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

Huge congrats, Doug!!! =D>
CarpeDM
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 350 13
Trip Reports (10)

Post by CarpeDM »

Congrats, Doug! It was great to meet you up there.
"This route is awesome; you can bring all your favorite holds home with you!" - Cedar Wright
"I just wanna live the life I please; I don't want no enemies; I don't want nothing if I have to fake it
Never take nothing don't belong to me; everything's paid for; nothing's free; If I give my heart will you promise not to break it?" - Lucinda Williams
mountainjam
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 124 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by mountainjam »

Congrats on a great accomplishment! =D>
The future is no place to place your better days. - Dave Matthews
SarahSimon
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SarahSimon »

Kevin Baker wrote:To see Doug talking after all that alcohol would be priceless!
Well, Kevin, since you could not be there to witness the spectacle, I figured I'd share with you a few pics I took with my iPhone. And, yes, during the celebration he was talking so much giberish nonsense that I almost split my gut laughing. Enjoy!

Not to be undone by the previous day's achievement and revelry, however, MacDaddy Hatfield was back at it at sunrise for a hair-raising ascent of the dry north coulior of Gilpin (chills...)
"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there." ~ John Wooden
DHatfield
14ers: 58 
13ers: 274
Trip Reports (40)

Post by DHatfield »

Thanks everyone!!

Kevin - Yes I've been stuck on that lone peak for about a year now mostly trying to figure out how in the world I was going to get up that thing!! So over the past year I've been rock climbing a lot more, several times a week, and getting more comfortable on the sharp end so figured I was ready to lead as it much easier finding a partner to belay. My favorite peak is Teakettle as it marked my first true trad lead as well as it's a beautiful mountain. I also liked Dallas Peak, which I did with you several years ago. Epic, there's a few that come to mind the first one being Little Bear Peak with verglass in the Hourglass, that was when I was little crazier and not thinking clearly and closely followed by Jagged Mountain that just as we reached the notch we starting hearing thunder and decided to continue pushing for the summit since it was so close only to get pounded by hail for 45 minutes just as we got off the summit and back to the notch. Probably wouldn't of been so bad if my well worn boots had an ounce of traction still in them.

Susan - LOL, no wonder I'm starting to slow down. Only two more big trips for this year. Yes I remember climbing Turrett Dome, fun little dome! Please do, I'm really wanting to do some more trad leading now!!

Climbing_Rob - LOL, that's funny!!

Sarah Simon - LOL, that's pretty funny!! I still can't believe I drank that much beer! I'm usually pretty light drinker, but hey you only live once! You did a great job belaying so I owe you a shot. LOL, those pictures are hilarious!! I was so out of it that I hardly remember that! Good times for sure!!

Brian C - I wasn't planning on drinking 100 ounces until the ladies thought it would be cool to drink 1 oz for each of the Centennial peak and thinking that would be kind of cool way to finish. Just not sure I would thinking about doing that if and when I finish the Bi-Centennials.

Kevin - I'm sure is was a priceless night for sure!

Chicago Transplant - I agree that was such an awesome summit to finish one!!

Matt - I would tell you, but I drink so much of several kinds that I can't remember.

Rainer_Wolfcastle - It was great to meet you up there too! I was kind of shocked to see anyone up there. It just seemed there were a lot of people headed to Sneffels.

CarpeDM - It was great meeting you as well.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

Thatta' boy, Doug! Glad to hear you led it too! Congrats man. Now put that bottle down.
USAKeller
14ers: 58  24  24 
13ers: 169 3 7
Trip Reports (46)

Post by USAKeller »

Yeah Doug, nice job!! Well done.
globreal
14ers: 58  1  26 
13ers: 198 2 6
Trip Reports (61)

Post by globreal »

Way to go Doug!!! Congrats on finishing those Cents! I've love your pixs in the Jeep! Woohooo! And now that's a real finisher....1 ounce of beer for every Centennial Peak. Hahaha!

And thanks for your Jagged TR. That came in most handy a few weeks ago as I had your pictures in my mind of that south face ledge and the final gully. Thanks!

Now...about that term MacDaddy? What's that about?