Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

arapahoe traverse?

Colorado 13er questions, conditions, and other info should be posted here. Also includes topics related to 13ers.com. 13er Trip Reports

arapahoe traverse?

Postby SolarAlex » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:04 pm

how difficult is this route? I was randomly going through peaks on the 13ers website to see if i could find an easyish scramble to do soon...the old baldy + s araphoe combo is rated 2+... the ridge to n arapahoe looks pretty awesome... the ridge looks to be class 3 with a class 4 move here and there? i read some trip reports that all mentioned the class 4 slab...but i was wondering if anyone had any other info...how big a step up would this be from kelso ridge?

thanks!

Re: arapahoe traverse?

Postby Floyd » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:10 pm

I haven't done Kelso, but I have done the Arapaho Traverse and it was covered with snow. It's actually pretty straight forward. The one move is that block which I guess you can call Class 4. I don't remember anything being overly difficult and from what I've seen and read about Kelso, I would imagine Kelso would be harder.
"Athletes express themselves physically, this is their art. As an athlete, exhausting oneself on the field or or on the track or on the trail or on the mountain brings calm and satisfaction. Thrashing about… our expression." - Steve Gleason

Postby SolarAlex » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:02 pm

wow, your trip report looks pretty awesome...cant wait to get some snow climbs next winter/spring

Postby Boggy B » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:21 pm

Floyd wrote:that block which I guess you can call Class 4

+1

No disrespect to folks who have pegged it as high as low 5th, but the move is neither intimidating nor difficult and frankly doesn't deserve the kind of hype that would cause folks like the OP to question. Compared to Kelso, I think the Arapaho traverse is easier. But I'd strongly recommend doing the whole thing via Skywalker!

Postby ajkagy » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:46 pm

it's definitely class 3, i really didn't think the block warranted anything above that...there are a few parts that are kinda exposed, but other than that it's pretty straight forward. I guess it might be harder for someone that is short. It's kind of sad since there are even arrows painted on some of the rocks to show you the way. The views are amazing from the top and the "glacier" is very impressive...one of my favorites near boulder.
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby k-berger » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:32 pm

I found it very comparable to Kelso. I agree the slab is overrated, especially if you are tall. If you stay on the ridge proper you will defintely find harder moves than the slab that on the traverse. If I had to say one, I would say that arapahoe has slightly harder moves, but it is so close that if you are comfortable on Kelso, you'll be fine on arapahoe.

Postby SolarAlex » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:53 pm

awesome! im 6'3, so hopefully that will make things easier for me. really looking forward to doing this traverse in the next couple of weeks.