Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

South Lookout Peak-need help with a pic!

Colorado 13er questions, conditions, and other info should be posted here. Also includes topics related to 13ers.com. 13er Trip Reports

South Lookout Peak-need help with a pic!

Postby Kane » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:35 pm

Hello experianced San Juan mountaineers. I want the following composition in a photograph and for a myriad of reasons I can't figure out what ridge this image was shot from. From Ophir Pass, or Clear Lakes. I've google Earthed it to death and its not slamming the door as to which approach. Im leaning toward the Ophir Pass approach but need to know for certain. Maybe you can figure it out.

http://www.summitpost.org/looking-south-from-the-summit-ridge/525508/c-152771

Re: South Lookout Peak-need help with a pic!

Postby MtHurd » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:19 pm

I can't help you much, only to post a pic of South Lookout when I was on the Ophir Pass road I think I was on the west side (edit, on second thought this was taken on the east side of Ophir Pass) of the pass but I can't remember. It looks like the ridge the photo was taken from was the ridge dropping off to the left in the photo.
SouthLookout.jpg
SouthLookout.jpg (91.37 KiB) Viewed 185 times

On second thought, maybe that was on the east side of the pass because this pic is definitely on the west side showing Lookout and US Grant and Lookout looks totally different.
US Grant.jpg
US Grant.jpg (138.3 KiB) Viewed 184 times

My best guess to access this ridge is the Clear Lake approach.

Re: South Lookout Peak-need help with a pic!

Postby ClimbingCooneys » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:33 pm

The photo link you provided is taken from the slopes going up to South Lookout Peak from Ice Lake basin. The summit(s) shown are listed on ListsofJohn as UN 13,300 and has a "soft rank." It is located on the ridge that extends south from the South Lookout summit and is almost directly west above Clear Lake. I have a couple of photos taken from a little lower elevation from when we climbed So. Lookout that verify this. My certainty is above 95%.