Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Anyone been up Thunder Pyramid recently

Colorado 13er questions, conditions, and other info should be posted here. Also includes topics related to 13ers.com. 13er Trip Reports

Anyone been up Thunder Pyramid recently

Postby nilaoire » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:59 pm

Saw the wonderful report + helmet cam video about a month ago. Anyone been up Thunder in the last two weeks? Is the snow in the couloir rock hard, did you use crampons? Thanks in advance.

Re: Anyone been up Thunder Pyramid recently

Postby dave alex » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:03 am

Did you attempt? I was thinking about this one in the next 10 days or so.

Re: Anyone been up Thunder Pyramid recently

Postby nilaoire » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:09 pm

Yes, battered and bruised, a boulder attempted to attack me, neither of us got injured greatly. I took lots of pictures, was planning on posting them on 14ers tomorrow. I am hoping that they will make it easier to find the route, there are cairns but they are hard to spot. We actually built or improved a good few cairns towards the top of the pk. The photo's that USA Keller posted on 14ers were a help. There are no gps tracks that I could find, one of my friends plans on posting one on Summit Post shortly. The good news,9a)the rock is much more solid than you might expect for the last 100- 200ft to the top, the really rotten stuff is further down the mountain (b) the traverse to the summit isn't as narrow as I was expecting having watched the helmet cam video. The snow is almost gone, no need even for micro spikes. Any help I can be, just ask. Have fun.