Forum

Anyone been up Thunder Pyramid recently

Colorado 13er peak questions, condition requests and other info. 13er Trip Reports, Condition Reports

Anyone been up Thunder Pyramid recently

Postby nilaoire » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:59 pm

Saw the wonderful report + helmet cam video about a month ago. Anyone been up Thunder in the last two weeks? Is the snow in the couloir rock hard, did you use crampons? Thanks in advance.

Re: Anyone been up Thunder Pyramid recently

Postby dave alex » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:03 am

Did you attempt? I was thinking about this one in the next 10 days or so.

Re: Anyone been up Thunder Pyramid recently

Postby nilaoire » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:09 pm

Yes, battered and bruised, a boulder attempted to attack me, neither of us got injured greatly. I took lots of pictures, was planning on posting them on 14ers tomorrow. I am hoping that they will make it easier to find the route, there are cairns but they are hard to spot. We actually built or improved a good few cairns towards the top of the pk. The photo's that USA Keller posted on 14ers were a help. There are no gps tracks that I could find, one of my friends plans on posting one on Summit Post shortly. The good news,9a)the rock is much more solid than you might expect for the last 100- 200ft to the top, the really rotten stuff is further down the mountain (b) the traverse to the summit isn't as narrow as I was expecting having watched the helmet cam video. The snow is almost gone, no need even for micro spikes. Any help I can be, just ask. Have fun.