Paiute to "Algonquin" traverse

Colorado 13er peak questions, condition requests and other info. 13er Trip Reports, Condition Reports

Paiute to "Algonquin" traverse

Postby Dave B » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:39 am

Has anyone done, or have information on, the traverse between Paiute and Algonquin?

The attached picture makes it look like a pretty good down climb from the summit of Paiute to the ridge line, but there could also be an easier way. A Upper Coney Lake traverse (Audubon-> Paiute-> "Algonquin" ->Coney Island) sounds pretty fun actually. Maybe counter clock-wise would be best actually.
Attachments
PaiuteN.Face.jpg
PaiuteN.Face.jpg (185.06 KiB) Viewed 511 times
The mountains - whose summits reach or exceed arbitrary thresholds for elevation and prominence - are calling and I must go.

-John Muir

Re: Paiute to "Algonquin" traverse

Postby ajkagy » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:55 pm

bump on this. While I've been up on paiute several times I don't have any beta on the connecting ridge to the north. I always thought the connecting ridge off to the west over to thunderbolt looked enticing as well. Both ridges are pretty minimally traveled

Postby Derek » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:40 pm

No info from me, sorry, but I am very interested as well. For some reason, I had always assumed that it was not a good route between the two, but I dont recall if that was just from looking at a map or from something that I had read...maybe on 14erWorld or something? My plan for this year is head out straight from Sawtooth Mountain to grab Algonquin. After getting a good look at the east slopes of Pt12155 this April (the point between Algonquin and Sawtooth), descending these slopes look very doable and would prevent a resummit of Sawtooth. The slopes would leave you in the saddle between Coney Island and Algonquin.

East slopes of Pt12155:

Regardless, finding out the traverse between Paiute and Algonquin is possible would probably make me change my mind. Hopefully someone chimes in.

ajkagy wrote:I always thought the connecting ridge off to the west over to thunderbolt looked enticing as well.

Very interesting, never thought of this. Looking through my photos from Thunderbolt, I dont even see that I took a picture looking east at the ridge!
"I used to think my Dad was Elvis. But I haven't told him that yet. I haven't told my Dad either." -S. Murdoch
LOJ

Postby John Prater » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:27 pm

My photos going from Algonquin to Paiute in 2008: http://www.flickr.com/photos/homieprater/sets/72157606513391931/with/2726582135/.

I think we were on the east side of the ridge (grassy ledges, crux loose section, lots of scrambling, up to 4th class) until the final notch. Above the notch, up a gully (good rock, 3rd class) on the west side of the ridge, then crossed back to the east side. Then the crux of the route for us, a short (30-foot?) wall. We looked at several options. My buddy Bill soloed up one option, then belayed two of us up another option. Don't recall the exact difficulty, but I want to say 5.6-5.7? Short scramble to the summit of Paiute above the crux.

Postby Dave B » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:50 am

John Prater wrote:My photos going from Algonquin to Paiute in 2008: http://www.flickr.com/photos/homieprater/sets/72157606513391931/with/2726582135/.

I think we were on the east side of the ridge (grassy ledges, crux loose section, lots of scrambling, up to 4th class) until the final notch. Above the notch, up a gully (good rock, 3rd class) on the west side of the ridge, then crossed back to the east side. Then the crux of the route for us, a short (30-foot?) wall. We looked at several options. My buddy Bill soloed up one option, then belayed two of us up another option. Don't recall the exact difficulty, but I want to say 5.6-5.7? Short scramble to the summit of Paiute above the crux.

Wow, really helpful! Thanks, John!

So is image 2040 looking at the crux 5.6-5.7 section? For some reason I have doing this thing clock-wise (starting from Mitchell Lake) stuck in my head, so a rope and slings for rapping seem like they'd probably be a necessity.
The mountains - whose summits reach or exceed arbitrary thresholds for elevation and prominence - are calling and I must go.

-John Muir

Postby Derek » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:10 am

John Prater wrote:My photos going from Algonquin to Paiute in 2008: http://www.flickr.com/photos/homieprater/sets/72157606513391931/with/2726582135/.

Thanks a lot for posting this, John.
"I used to think my Dad was Elvis. But I haven't told him that yet. I haven't told my Dad either." -S. Murdoch
LOJ