Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Paiute to "Algonquin" traverse

Colorado 13er questions, conditions, and other info should be posted here. Also includes topics related to 13ers.com. 13er Trip Reports

Paiute to "Algonquin" traverse

Postby Dave B » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:39 am

Has anyone done, or have information on, the traverse between Paiute and Algonquin?

The attached picture makes it look like a pretty good down climb from the summit of Paiute to the ridge line, but there could also be an easier way. A Upper Coney Lake traverse (Audubon-> Paiute-> "Algonquin" ->Coney Island) sounds pretty fun actually. Maybe counter clock-wise would be best actually.
Attachments
PaiuteN.Face.jpg
PaiuteN.Face.jpg (185.06 KiB) Viewed 424 times
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Re: Paiute to "Algonquin" traverse

Postby ajkagy » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:55 pm

bump on this. While I've been up on paiute several times I don't have any beta on the connecting ridge to the north. I always thought the connecting ridge off to the west over to thunderbolt looked enticing as well. Both ridges are pretty minimally traveled
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby Derek » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:40 pm

No info from me, sorry, but I am very interested as well. For some reason, I had always assumed that it was not a good route between the two, but I dont recall if that was just from looking at a map or from something that I had read...maybe on 14erWorld or something? My plan for this year is head out straight from Sawtooth Mountain to grab Algonquin. After getting a good look at the east slopes of Pt12155 this April (the point between Algonquin and Sawtooth), descending these slopes look very doable and would prevent a resummit of Sawtooth. The slopes would leave you in the saddle between Coney Island and Algonquin.

East slopes of Pt12155:

Regardless, finding out the traverse between Paiute and Algonquin is possible would probably make me change my mind. Hopefully someone chimes in.

ajkagy wrote:I always thought the connecting ridge off to the west over to thunderbolt looked enticing as well.

Very interesting, never thought of this. Looking through my photos from Thunderbolt, I dont even see that I took a picture looking east at the ridge!
"All dolled up in gabardine..."

Postby John Prater » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:27 pm

My photos going from Algonquin to Paiute in 2008: http://www.flickr.com/photos/homieprater/sets/72157606513391931/with/2726582135/.

I think we were on the east side of the ridge (grassy ledges, crux loose section, lots of scrambling, up to 4th class) until the final notch. Above the notch, up a gully (good rock, 3rd class) on the west side of the ridge, then crossed back to the east side. Then the crux of the route for us, a short (30-foot?) wall. We looked at several options. My buddy Bill soloed up one option, then belayed two of us up another option. Don't recall the exact difficulty, but I want to say 5.6-5.7? Short scramble to the summit of Paiute above the crux.

Postby Dave B » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:50 am

John Prater wrote:My photos going from Algonquin to Paiute in 2008: http://www.flickr.com/photos/homieprater/sets/72157606513391931/with/2726582135/.

I think we were on the east side of the ridge (grassy ledges, crux loose section, lots of scrambling, up to 4th class) until the final notch. Above the notch, up a gully (good rock, 3rd class) on the west side of the ridge, then crossed back to the east side. Then the crux of the route for us, a short (30-foot?) wall. We looked at several options. My buddy Bill soloed up one option, then belayed two of us up another option. Don't recall the exact difficulty, but I want to say 5.6-5.7? Short scramble to the summit of Paiute above the crux.

Wow, really helpful! Thanks, John!

So is image 2040 looking at the crux 5.6-5.7 section? For some reason I have doing this thing clock-wise (starting from Mitchell Lake) stuck in my head, so a rope and slings for rapping seem like they'd probably be a necessity.
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby Derek » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:10 am

John Prater wrote:My photos going from Algonquin to Paiute in 2008: http://www.flickr.com/photos/homieprater/sets/72157606513391931/with/2726582135/.

Thanks a lot for posting this, John.
"All dolled up in gabardine..."