Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Aspen area 13er recommendations?

Colorado 13er questions, conditions, and other info should be posted here. Also includes topics related to 13ers.com. 13er Trip Reports

Re: Aspen area 13er recommendations?

Postby PaliKona » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:48 pm

These all sound very interesting. I think I'm most interested in getting great views into the Maroon Bells/Snowmass Wilderness, so much of which I haven't explored at all.

Postby chinookhead » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:44 pm

kaiman wrote:Electric Pass Peak (13,500) above Cathedral Lake is very nice and looks directly at Castle/Conundrum. Class 2.

Buckskin Benchmark (13,300) near Buckskin Pass is equally as nice. Overlooks Willow Lake, Maroon Bells/Pyramid and Snowmass/Capitol area. Class 2.

For more serious mountaineering endeavors there is Cathedral Peak (13,900) out of Aspen and Grizzly Peak off of Independence Pass (Colorado's tallest 13er). Both are Class 3 climbs.

I also like peter303's suggestion of hiking along Independence Pass/Continental Divide. You could also do this Class 3-4 route above the Lost Man Trail near Independence Pass:

http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=12163

Wherever you go Happy Trails!

kaiman

Just curious........what are the crowds usually like on these trails? Are these usually very popular and crowded trails? I'll be in the area in July. I really hope that the area i snot closed due to fire danger......a guy at forest service who I was speaking to was saying that it was a possibility in the Vail area next week. Thanks!!!

Postby TravelingMatt » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:52 pm

chinookhead wrote:Just curious........what are the crowds usually like on these trails? Are these usually very popular and crowded trails? I'll be in the area in July. I really hope that the area i snot closed due to fire danger......a guy at forest service who I was speaking to was saying that it was a possibility in the Vail area next week. Thanks!!!

In the Elks, tons of tourists between Maroon Lake and the turnoff up to Buckskin Pass. Far fewer people beyond that.

If you head south from Indy Pass, you may run into few tourists up to the first false ridge -- they realize that's not really "the top" so they turn around pretty quickly. But beyond that you should have solitude.

I have no idea how people do Grizzly from Indy Pass. The divide is gentle for the first few miles, but then you hit an unranked 13er and its south slopes are VERY rotten with no good area to drop down into.
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

Previous