Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

East Vail Gore Range 13er's

Colorado 13er questions, conditions, and other info should be posted here. Also includes topics related to 13ers.com. 13er Trip Reports

East Vail Gore Range 13er's

Postby traderaaron » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:03 am

Any conditions update for the East Vail area Gore Range 13er's, specifically around Gore and Deluge lake basins and Snow Pass?

Re: East Vail Gore Range 13er's

Postby Matt » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:07 am

As of yesterday:
The Deluge Lake trail is dry, steep, & infested with tourists (up to the lake) and mosquitos (up to 11k or so).
Snow Pass is dry, and there's no need for an ice axe, spikes, etc., to climb Snow, Valhalla, or Grand Traverse.
Views into the distance are hazy, but Gore peaks are pretty clear.
Feel free to shoot me a PM if you need more info.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List

Postby gdthomas » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:13 am

To confirm much of what Matt has said, as of 6/23/12 Bighorn, DeLuge and Gore Creek trails are snow free. I imagine Booth Falls and Pitkin are as well. Although there are plenty of snowfields above 12,000' on mostly north facing aspects, everything I could see from Grand Traverse appeared passable w/o having to deal with snow, including Snow Pass.

Postby traderaaron » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:16 am

Matt wrote:As of yesterday:
The Deluge Lake trail is dry, steep, & infested with tourists (up to the lake) and mosquitos (up to 11k or so).
Snow Pass is dry, and there's no need for an ice axe, spikes, etc., to climb Snow, Valhalla, or Grand Traverse.
Views into the distance are hazy, but Gore peaks are pretty clear.
Feel free to shoot me a PM if you need more info.

Great, that's what I expected to hear. I am thinking about backpacking the Gore/Snow/Deluge as quick loop and hitting those peaks early next week before July 4th. (This time without getting lost on the old Deluge Creek trail)