Climax Mine reopened.

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Furthermore
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 643
Trip Reports (219)

Re: Climax Mine reopened.

Post by Furthermore »

Does anyone have before pictures? I'll have to see what I have.
Tigerbear
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 87
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tigerbear »

Don't forget that access to many places in colorado would not be possible without mining roads! ](*,)
people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but they will never forget how you made them feel...
Furthermore
Trip Reports (219)

Post by Furthermore »

Looks like a good 20-30 feet was chopped.

Before picture.
P1010042.JPG
P1010042.JPG (69.5 KiB) Viewed 604 times
Ed Matthews
14ers: 17 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Ed Matthews »

I think some people obviously cared about climbing this "insignificant" mountain....just judging from the responses.
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 289 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

milan wrote:So, who hiked it after me? Was I honoured to be the last one on the "origami bird" of 13 400 feet of height? Actually, just under the bird - but touched it from below :)
I have a suspicion that you might not have been. The origami bird was still fluttering a month ago, according to a friend.

Judging from the road orientation and position, I think 30' is about right.

Tigerbear wrote:Don't forget that access to many places in colorado would not be possible without mining roads! ](*,)
This ain't exactly your average mine, nor is it some backwoods road with scattered shafts. It's a friggin' disappearing mountain with square miles of land inundated and off limits due to instability, dated claims, and water treatment ponds. Yes, mining is essential, but there are far better practices available presently than there were in the (not too distant) past. Those policies are implemented to avoid further massive environmental disasters and significant hazards to public health. That stuff isn't all simply media hype, public misperception, and Boulder hippy fanfare, though there is plenty of that around too. But whatever. It's not like I've studied and worked on this stuff considerably or anything.
live4pc wrote:Am I missing something? Is that land is privately owned? If so it should be end of story - show some respect for other people's stuff. It seems to me it was and is an insignificant mountain no one cared about before it was/is mined.
Yes, you are missing plenty.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajkagy »

live4pc wrote:Am I missing something? Is that land is privately owned? If so it should be end of story - show some respect for other people's stuff.
It seems to me it was and is an insignificant mountain no one cared about before it was/is mined.
so basically all private land is insignificant in your eyes? So you have no trouble with corrupt land swaps or corporations raping the land for profits? I figured not, keep your political garbage in the off route forum...

Everytime I drive by that way the mine activity is a little disheartening. It's pretty much the live death of a mountain. I'm hoping crested butte can work out a deal to protect the red lady from US energy corp so it doesn't eventually have the same fate.
http://wanderingthemountains.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ed Matthews
14ers: 17 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Ed Matthews »

@live4pc: Just checkin out your peak list it shows you have climbed Bross...which is private property....if you are gonna talk the talk then walk the walk!!!
milan
14ers: 57  1 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by milan »

Monster5 wrote: I have a suspicion that you might not have been. The origami bird was still fluttering a month ago, according to a friend.
It actually does not matter that much for me, I am very happy I hiked her when she was 13 400 and not 13 370 feet tall. Pretty glad for all other hikers ho used the opportunity. I would like to see how it looked before the big mining actually started.

Don't know how to use multiple quotes, so all together:

How someone can say that a mountain over 13 000 feet (and 4000 m) is insignificant? Yes, you are lucky to have many hundreds of them just in Colorado but a lot of other countries have none! And yes, when I wanted to hike every ranked summit in Mosquito Range, it was important to hike Bartlett too.

Private land rights? Respect? Common. On one side, I understand that the civilization needs Molybdenum, especially when the country is in war, and I am not the one who would stirr the water, write to newspapers or anything. I can silently tolerate that. However I do NOT have ANY respect to private companies that cause environmental disasters. It can be this molybdenum mine or British Petrol. People would tell me off when I do a couple steps on alpine tundra and literally anihilating square miles of mountain environment is OK just because it's privately owned? Shame should be somewhere else not on a single man who walked on his own foot over private land causing ZERO impact. I agree on the other side, that from the safety point of view, it was not the smartest thing to do...

There were no signs on Bartlet either, at any point, although it was clear that it is the mine...
milan
14ers: 57  1 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by milan »

live4pc wrote:

Of course no one wants abuse but, just because they are mining there is abuse?? I am Indian/native american
most Indians I know abuse everything around them but, some don't that is part of why I am successful most of my friends I grew up with are not.
I just wanted to say, I don't feel bad for trespassing. I can accept mining activities but they do abuse the land and IMO they do it in a very bad manner. I am from a very industrialized country and love those mountains because they remind the last pieces of wilderness. I understand that tere is a compromise because people need metals, coal and other resources, I am not calling for closing the mine but I am far from being completely OK with that.
Tigerbear
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 87
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tigerbear »

Spinning out of control! :lol:
people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but they will never forget how you made them feel...
Furthermore
Trip Reports (219)

Post by Furthermore »

Clearly, completing or working on the list is way more important than respecting private property. :shock:
Boggy B
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 777 76
Trip Reports (40)

Post by Boggy B »

Furthermore wrote:Clearly, completing or working on the list is way more important than respecting private property. :shock:
Was there ever any question?