Climax Mine reopened.

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
MUni Rider
14ers: 51 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (20)

Re: Climax Mine reopened.

Post by MUni Rider »

Marmot72 wrote:THis Climax Mine is a pretty big f---ing plot. The only mine I know by that name is by Leadville, by Democrat, Clinton, etc., but I was trying to get up the Urad mine road from the Henderson mine road, which is right off Hwy 40 just a bit south of Berthoud Pass, and that road is closed because of construction work for the Climax mine reopening. It was just a casual Sunday hike with my wife and we were going to get Engelmann Peak, but no dice.

I just hope the shitheads stay in business long enough after they dredge up the molybdenum or whatever other rocks that they can clean up whatever mess they make...instead of going belly-up and leaving it to the Feds and the State of CO.
My arm chair quarterbacking assessment:

How clean did they leave their lands after the last time they closed? They didn't? Well, after their product becomes unprofitable, (again), they will close, (again). They will never have a need to clean up because someday their product will be profitable again, be it the next year or 100 years, and the place will roar with activity once again. Until they close, again. See a pattern?

But that's just my opinion. I may be wrong.
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)
RyanSchilling
14ers: 58 
13ers: 249
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyanSchilling »

Marmot72 wrote:THis Climax Mine is a pretty big f---ing plot. The only mine I know by that name is by Leadville, by Democrat, Clinton, etc., but I was trying to get up the Urad mine road from the Henderson mine road, which is right off Hwy 40 just a bit south of Berthoud Pass, and that road is closed because of construction work for the Climax mine reopening. It was just a casual Sunday hike with my wife and we were going to get Engelmann Peak, but no dice.

I just hope the shitheads stay in business long enough after they dredge up the molybdenum or whatever other rocks that they can clean up whatever mess they make...instead of going belly-up and leaving it to the Feds and the State of CO.
I don't get it... you're saying the Henderson Mine road was closed due to construction miles away at Climax???
Presto
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 308 21
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Presto »

by reinhold » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:01 am

I don't get it... you're saying the Henderson Mine road was closed due to construction miles away at Climax???
+1 Reinhold ... sounds like he is suffering from "LMS" (location misidentification syndrome) ... Berthoud Pass is no where near Fremont Pass. :-s :wft: However, you can see Democrat from near Climax ...
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM
Magnum420
14ers: 23  1 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Magnum420 »

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Climax owns the Urad Mine near Berthoud Pass as well as the Henderson Mill and Mine near Ute Pass. I'm sure those signs went up on all of their properties.
"I was high on life till I realized it was cut with idiots!" ---Anon---
mike offerman
13ers: 189
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mike offerman »

I believe that is true. and you are probably correct, they are just using the signs on their property as needed.
milan
14ers: 57  1 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by milan »

It looked to me that they slowly reopen everything they own - either they mine for other stuff or they just need additional facilities (mills etc. elsewhere). On one side, molybdenum is an essential additive to some steels and its irreplaceble, so there will always be demand, on the other hand, I am amazed by the contrast. While we are trying to behave following "leave no trace" philosophy, while I feel guilty when a gust of wind takes a piece of paper from my snickers and I am unable to get it back or when I need to take a dump above the tree line, another people are angry at tourists who hike over alpine tundra, there is a company that is literally grinding a whole mountain to dust and redeposits it a couple miles away while extracting about 0.1% of its mass, completely legaly. What a hypocrisy....
Presto
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 308 21
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Presto »

Thanks for the background information on the mine (and subsequent ownership ties) ... I didn't know that.
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM
Boggy B
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 777 76
Trip Reports (40)

Post by Boggy B »

We drove past Bartlett on Sunday and it appears the 13400' highpoint is gone. :shock:

I'm pretty certain as the summit block was plainly visible from Hwy 24. Now it looks to be rounded off. Can anyone confirm this?
Boggy B
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 777 76
Trip Reports (40)

Post by Boggy B »

Yep, it's gone. Wonder how much they chopped off. :cry:
RyanSchilling
13ers: 249
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyanSchilling »

Crazy!
milan
14ers: 57  1 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by milan »

So, who hiked it after me? Was I honoured to be the last one on the "origami bird" of 13 400 feet of height? Actually, just under the bird - but touched it from below :)
Paul S
14ers: 51 
13ers: 164
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Paul S »

Here's a picture of the top of Bartlett taken from Wheeler Mountain's summit today. Notice the truck just left of center.
Bartlett1.jpg
Bartlett1.jpg (327.2 KiB) Viewed 653 times
Here's another picture taken from the Wheeler/Clinton saddle. You can see a shovel operating on the right side.
Bartlett2.jpg
Bartlett2.jpg (288.01 KiB) Viewed 653 times
I wonder how long it will be before they take it down to the point that it's no longer a ranked peak...and then I won't need it to complete Lake County. :mrgreen: