Cuatro to Maxwell ridge info?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
IHikeLikeAGirl
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 329
Trip Reports (6)

Cuatro to Maxwell ridge info?

Post by IHikeLikeAGirl »

Hello,

Here is my 2nd annual posting asking for questions on this ridge.... ;)

I've been searching far and wide and can't seem to find any specific information on the ridge between Cuatro and Maxwell (near Cuchara).

I've read that it "looks" tricky (class 3/4, possibly loose, and exposed), but I haven't been able to find anyone who has actually been on it. There are log entries on Maxwell denoting that people have hiked the ridge from Trinchera, over the leaning peaks, over Cuatro, and onto Maxwell so, it's doable (for some).

Has anyone on this site been on the ridge or seen the difficulties close up? Or know anyone who has done it?

What I want to know is:
Is it better to go from Cuatro to Maxwell, or vice versa?
On a scale of 1-5, how exposed is it?
What was the rock like?
Class 3? Class 4?
How are the holds?

Any and all information would be greatly appreciated. :)
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."
- Steven Wright
Furthermore
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 643
Trip Reports (219)

Re: Cuatro to Maxwell ridge info?

Post by Furthermore »

I think it is class 2. Although I haven't climb that specific section of ridge, I have read (fourteenerworld TR) it went as a hike. That area of the Cristo's is pretty gentle as I have climbed other peaks to the north. The topo shows the terrain as gentle as well.

Where did you read it went at 3/4?

I am planning on climbing in that exact area late May-June. If you haven't climbed it by then, I will have an answer.
Furthermore
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 643
Trip Reports (219)

Post by Furthermore »

Upon further research, it might go at class 3?? That might the east ridge of Maxwell.

I found this photos that might help you. The south ridge of Cuatro
IHikeLikeAGirl
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 329
Trip Reports (6)

Post by IHikeLikeAGirl »

Furthermore wrote:I think it is class 2. Although I haven't climb that specific section of ridge, I have read (fourteenerworld TR) it went as a hike. That area of the Cristo's is pretty gentle as I have climbed other peaks to the north. The topo shows the terrain as gentle as well.

Where did you read it went at 3/4?

I am planning on climbing in that exact area late May-June. If you haven't climbed it by then, I will have an answer.
I don't recall exactly where I read that it was class 3 with possible class 4. I just remember passages here and there from people who stopped at Cuatro or only did Maxwell and gave their assessments from afar. And SarahT put out a TR (she stopped shortly after Cuatro). Said she played around a bit on the ridge difficulties, but needed to head back. I read things like: "broken ledges", "summit entry said it wasn't as bad as it looked", "didn't want to risk it", etc. Overall, the whole ridge sounds gentle, with the exception being that section between Cuatro and Max. I am encouraged by the summit entry where the person said it wasn't as bad as it looked. And someone else said they saw goat trails down broken ledges.

I just haven't been able to get any first hand accounts from anyone who's done the whole ridge from Cuatro to Maxwell or vice versa. Seems like an elusive pair. :wink:

I probably won't be doing it prior to your trip so, please do let me know what you find out. And if you could, take lots of pictures! :)

Thanks!
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."
- Steven Wright