Bison/McCurdy Peak Conditions?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Duke22
14ers: 5 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (2)

Bison/McCurdy Peak Conditions?

Post by Duke22 »

I am looking to climb these two peaks later in the week. The current forecast is only for a 50% chance of snow tonight and less chances through the week??? I have not been in that area all winter, I am wondering if the south end of Kenosha Mtns/Puma Hills have seen much snow this season. I called the ranger district and they said I should have no problem getting to the Ute Creek Trailhead. They also think with the amount of wind the past couple weeks above treeline should be snow free in the open areas. I am just not in the mood to posthole all the way up if you know what I mean. Any info would be great and suggestions of other peaks in that area would be awsome! Thanks. :?: :?: :?:
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Re: Bison/McCurdy Peak Conditions?

Post by Derek »

I was a bit to the north of Bison a couple weeks ago, snowshoes were required for any north slopes. If you're taking the Ute trail, you might be alright without, but I'd still probably bring them.
I called the ranger district and they said I should have no problem getting to the Ute Creek Trailhead.

Unless we get some really bad snow, that TH is usually open all winter. When you get to roads that branch off from 77, thats where you might run into some closures.

--Derek
Duke22
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Duke22 »

Thanks Derek, it looks like the forecast has changed to more snow just withing the last couple hours??? Who knows? Snow east of the divide has been so sketchy this year. I was planning on brings the shoes for sure. Is that a popular winter trail? is it packed or will i be trailblazin?
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Post by Derek »

Duke22 wrote:Is that a popular winter trail? is it packed or will i be trailblazin?
Eh. For being in the lost creek wilderness its pretty popular, but thats not saying a whole lot. If theres enough snow for snowshoes, I highly doubt that there is any sort of packed trail. It is pretty likely that you would have tracks to follow though, so unless there was a lot of new snow I doubt you'd have to do too much hard trail breaking. The reason I thought you'd be alright taking the Ute trail is because of the way it faces (south)....should be lower levels of snow.

The LCW is hard to judge with snow a lot of times, because one side of a slope you could be postholing to your waist...while the other side is bone dry.

Have fun if you go, both are great mountains. Long day though getting both! Even longer with snow :shock:

--Derek
Dancesatmoonrise
14ers: 58  43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (68)

Post by Dancesatmoonrise »

Derek wrote:
Duke22 wrote:Is that a popular winter trail? is it packed or will i be trailblazin?
Eh. For being in the lost creek wilderness its pretty popular, but thats not saying a whole lot. If theres enough snow for snowshoes, I highly doubt that there is any sort of packed trail. It is pretty likely that you would have tracks to follow though, so unless there was a lot of new snow I doubt you'd have to do too much hard trail breaking. The reason I thought you'd be alright taking the Ute trail is because of the way it faces (south)....should be lower levels of snow.

The LCW is hard to judge with snow a lot of times, because one side of a slope you could be postholing to your waist...while the other side is bone dry.

Have fun if you go, both are great mountains. Long day though getting both! Even longer with snow :shock:

--Derek
Hey Derek, (aka Mister LCW! : )

I'd like to get in to climb Wigwam Dome, and The Sun and The Moon, in the next couple weeks. Not to hijack the thread, but if you could provide some idea of conditions and whether these climbs would be accessable about now, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Jim
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Post by Derek »

Hey Jim,

Actually walked right under Wigwam Dome a couple weeks ago! I read that "The Sun" is just west of it, but I am unsure where "The Moon" is...I assume close to the first two...?

Anyway, as of March 13th, you could get to the start of Wigwam Dome without needing anything, the trail was mostly dry. The snow started just a bit higher, just after the turnoff that you would take to Wigwam Dome. Just an FYI, I believe I found the trail to the base of the climb when I was hiking the Wigwam. Waypoint N39 15.432 W105 22.191 will put you on the little ridge where the trail starts. Couple pics from 03-13:
Wigwam Dome:

Wigwam Dome and The Sun on the far right...from "The Wigwam":

Wigwam Dome on the left:

Cliffs just to the east of Wigwam Dome...gives an idea of the ground conditions:

(I also apologize for the highjack of the thread!! :oops: )

--Derek
Duke22
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Duke22 »

Guys, no worries... good info all around... I agree with snow conditions in LCW... mostly the reason for the post! For my hike I was going to have a 10-12 hour time limit ... 7am to 5pm or so, hopefully I get both.
Dancesatmoonrise
Trip Reports (68)

Derek, thanks so much. Great photos and beta! Yes, "The Moon" actually looks like it is the same rock as "The Sun" - the latter is the section up high, the former is the lower face. Great routes there, and now is the time to climb them - I've been there in summer, with that high-voltage line connecting lead and belayer! :shock:

Duke, thanks for allowing us a brief diversion on the thread, and best of luck with the routes. Be safe, have fun, and let us know how it went! :D

-Jim
mattpayne11
14ers: 58 
13ers: 111
Trip Reports (48)

Post by mattpayne11 »

Jim send me a message when you go if you want a partner. I may be interested. If not, cool either way - gl!
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

Hey Duke,
Did you happen to go to Bison this week? (fantastic idea for this weekend, thanks). If so, how much snow did you encounter?
Thanks.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
Dancesatmoonrise
Trip Reports (68)

mattpayne11 wrote:Jim send me a message when you go if you want a partner. I may be interested. If not, cool either way - gl!
Saturday. I'll send a pm.