Edwards east slopes/Grays and Torreys

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
lpyle
14ers: 20  2 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Edwards east slopes/Grays and Torreys

Post by lpyle »

Thinking about doing Edwards from the Leavenworth Creek TH this Sunday. Info on road and snow conditions appreciated. Any info on Grays/Torreys area would also be helpful if anyone's been up there recently.
"I believe that if you set out on an adventure and you're absolutely convinced you are going to be successful, why bother starting?"
- Sir Edmund Hillary
centrifuge
14ers: 57  1  2 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (33)

Re: Edwards east slopes/Grays and Torreys

Post by centrifuge »

I dont know about the road, but was up on Sniktau yesterday and there were clouds sitting on Stevens Gulch and Torrey's. Everything was pretty covered with snow. I will post a photo of that area from Sniktau when I get home if no one else has better input.
"i feel so extraordinary, somethings got a hold on me, I get this feeling I'm in motion, a sudden sence of liberty“ new order
zoriloco
14ers: 18  1 
Trip Reports (16)

Post by zoriloco »

Any idea on how to get info on the avy condition on Stevens Gulch?
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

zoriloco wrote:Any idea on how to get info on the avy condition on Stevens Gulch?
Go up there and assess yourself.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
centrifuge
14ers: 57  1  2 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (33)

Post by centrifuge »

I have no idea what Avi Conditions look like in Stevens Gulch, but the wind was definitely working on filling up those terrain traps up around Sniktau, but since I was on a ridge the whole time I didnt do any snow tests. Here is a photo looking in the direction of Stevens Gulch from the summit of Sniktau and another looking over towards Torreys.
The attachment in cloud super small for 14ers.jpg is no longer available
looking along the ridge to Grizzly from Sniktau
looking along the ridge to Grizzly from Sniktau
snowed in ridges super small for 14ers.jpg (231.38 KiB) Viewed 799 times
Attachments
looking over towards Torreys from Sniktau on 11/11/2010
looking over towards Torreys from Sniktau on 11/11/2010
in cloud super small for 14ers.jpg (161.24 KiB) Viewed 808 times
"i feel so extraordinary, somethings got a hold on me, I get this feeling I'm in motion, a sudden sence of liberty“ new order
sunny1
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 225 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by sunny1 »

lpyle wrote:Thinking about doing Edwards from the Leavenworth Creek TH this Sunday. Info on road and snow conditions appreciated. Any info on Grays/Torreys area would also be helpful if anyone's been up there recently.
I hiked Edwards, Argentine and McClellan this summer via this approach, very nice hike. Sorry I don't have more current info!
Interesting perspective and angle on G/T and Bierstadt - near complete solitude on the 13ers, but the 14ers are very busy, also interesting to view the peaks from a new angle. Very enjoyable.
The Leavenworth Creek TH access is likely going to be lower with the snow than how far you can get up there in summer with a 4WD, but if you go with a flexible attitude, preparation for the conditions, and just go for it, you'll have a fun day.

I was on Sniktau yesterday, the west facing slopes of Torrey's were looking much more wind blasted than in centrifuge's nice pics the day prior. The couloirs are starting to fill in. East facing slopes were looking more loaded around Loveland Pass.
It was a very cold hike yesterday, 5 degrees at 10:00 a.m. at the pass, up on the ridge, there was a good breeze, likely - 0 wind chills. Did not need snowshoes, but definitely goggles, balaclava, winter layers including wind protection. Microspikes were helpful in areas. Bring winter gear.
Above all, have fun! :D
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.