Gannett Peak beta

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Gannett Peak beta

Post by Dave B »

Hey All,
We're thinking about making a three day run for Gannett peak this weekend from Elkhardt Park. There are a couple of awesome trip reports on this site but they are all from climbs in early-mid July.

I know it's a bit late in the season but is the bergschrud passable without early season snow bridges?

Does anyone know of a good book that provides some relatively good information on the routes.

Cheers!
Make wilderness less accessible.
skiwall
14ers: 2 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Gannett Peak beta

Post by skiwall »

I don't, but let me know if you go because I've been pondering this one as well. I got all my beta from Summitpost.

Might see you at the TH- thinking of heading to Indian Basin and going up some of the peaks in that area.
"A good woman knows her place is in the backcountry." - PW '08
JakeK
14ers: 48  9 
Trip Reports (11)

Post by JakeK »

There was a good trip report on Summitpost from a few weeks ago; some guys climbed it in one 25 hour outing. The bergschrud was still passable, but that was 3+ weeks ago.
SenadR
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 193 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SenadR »

I summited Gannett Peak on August 9th from Elkhart Park, snowbridge was passable but at time was going away, i'm sure it's gone by now.
Hope some of these pic can help,
gannett-4476.jpg
gannett-4476.jpg (155.71 KiB) Viewed 1141 times
gannett-4476.jpg
gannett-4476.jpg (155.71 KiB) Viewed 1141 times
Attachments
gannett-4478.jpg
gannett-4478.jpg (245.37 KiB) Viewed 1136 times
skiwall
Trip Reports (1)

Post by skiwall »

Personally, I think you should reenact that scene from Vertical Limit where he leaps across the huge crevasse with his ice axes.

In all seriousness, is there any way to get across that without the snow bridge? How far across is it?
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

skiwall wrote:Personally, I think you should reenact that scene from Vertical Limit where he leaps across the huge crevasse with his ice axes.

In all seriousness, is there any way to get across that without the snow bridge? How far across is it?
Heck yeah, and then dyno across the face, placing a cam in a small crack in mid air to save myself from falling ice and debris from the explosion above...

Skiwall, I'm going to send you a site email.
Make wilderness less accessible.
viejo
Trip Reports (0)

Post by viejo »

Years ago I did it mid to late August. I elected to go up the couloir from the south side approach to the Goose Neck. That avoided the big schrund you'd get from the north side. Assuming you're approaching from Dinwoody Pass, that would be along your route. You might want to eyeball that approach from the pass. There wasn't much snow left at the time, and the ice was pretty bullet proof. Sharpen up those points a bit before heading out.

That's a pretty grueling trip to make in 3 days, but certainly beautiful country.
skiwall
Trip Reports (1)

Post by skiwall »

davey_rocket wrote: Heck yeah, and then dyno across the face, placing a cam in a small crack in mid air to save myself from falling ice and debris from the explosion above...
YES! Did you see that video about "Things I Learned From Vertical Limit"? It was hilarious, and now my climbing partner has a rule that I'm not allowed to mention dynamic cam placements more than three times per climbing day. :D

edit: fooooound it. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxtg7raPDYo
JakeK
14ers: 48  9 
Trip Reports (11)

Post by JakeK »

davey_rocket wrote: Heck yeah, and then dyno across the face, placing a cam in a small crack in mid air to save myself from falling ice and debris from the explosion above...
Dynamite? That's WEAK! C'mon dude... don't you know that all REAL mountaineers, like Chris O'Donnell, climb with backpacks full of Nitroglycerin!?
14erFred
14ers: 51 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14erFred »

skiwall: Vintage Tinseltown histrionics...thanks for sharing! :lol:
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius