Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Nicest Front Range 13er

Colorado 13er questions, conditions, and other info should be posted here. Also includes topics related to 13ers.com. 13er Trip Reports
Online
User avatar
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 12:50 pm
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: Nicest Front Range 13er

Postby SharonH » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:29 pm

I just climbed Squaretop today, and it was incredibly pleasant. If you are looking for a challenge, this is not the peak to climb. However, if you want solitude, great views and a great 4-5 hour outing, this is the 13er for you.

Posts: 640
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:09 am

Re: Nicest Front Range 13er

Postby kimo » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:34 pm

I've climbed only eleven 13ers in the Front Range, but all good ones, including Meeker, Edwards, Apache, S.Arapaho, Storm, James, Lady Washington, Audubon, Eva, Paiute, and Old Baldy.

Of those, my favorite is Meeker via the Loft Route. The Loft is a real mountaineering route - exposed, dangerous, exciting, beautiful. Water flows over ramps and slabs, rockfall seems to tumble from the sky, shadows move between cracks and crevices. I felt so small there, so soft, so mortal, so inconsequential. And the world never seemed so big. And scary. It really puts that pending deadline at work in perspective.

Second is Apache. The view of Apache from Lake Isabelle drops me to my knees. Literally. I'm always fiddling with that damn tripod trying to get the shot. Apache is a gorgeous mountain with multiple personalities. Like Meeker, there is no easy way up Apache. Along the trail to Apache, the cascades below the eastern ramparts of Shoshoni are a beautiful spot to stop and take in.

Third is Storm Peak (unranked) when including the ridge traverse to/from the Keyhole. Stay as high on the ridge as your courage allows. The view into Glacier Gorge is mind-numbing. I can't say any more than that about it. It's one of only two 13ers that I've climbed twice. And look forward to climbing again.

User avatar
Posts: 402
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:10 am
Location: Fort Collins, CO

Re: Nicest Front Range 13er

Postby llamaman » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:21 pm

Well, of the 4 that I have done (all in the last 6 months), my favorite was Chiefs Head in RMNP. I did that via Stone Man Pass, which lies between Chiefs Head and McHenrys. Either McHenrys or Pagoda Mountain, which lies between Chiefs Head and Long's, is next up for me.

User avatar
Posts: 175
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:47 pm
Location: Keystone, CO

Re: Nicest Front Range 13er

Postby screefieldstevie » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:33 pm

I keep seeing the Citadel name...........is that the same mountain some call "Mt. Snoopy"??????????
"Cause the Rocky Mountain Way Is better than the way we had" - Joe Walsh

Posts: 1978
Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 7:44 am

Re: Nicest Front Range 13er

Postby Doug Shaw » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:28 pm

screefieldstevie wrote:I keep seeing the Citadel name...........is that the same mountain some call "Mt. Snoopy"??????????


I've never heard anybody call it that, and any self-respecting person should never let themselves be caught even uttering the phrase "Mount Snoopy" - that just sounds silly.

But from the right vantage, The Citadel is said to look like Snoopy lying on his doghouse.

User avatar
Posts: 175
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:47 pm
Location: Keystone, CO

Re: Nicest Front Range 13er

Postby screefieldstevie » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:05 pm

Doug Shaw wrote:
screefieldstevie wrote:I keep seeing the Citadel name...........is that the same mountain some call "Mt. Snoopy"??????????


I've never heard anybody call it that, and any self-respecting person should never let themselves be caught even uttering the phrase "Mount Snoopy" - that just sounds silly.

But from the right vantage, The Citadel is said to look like Snoopy lying on his doghouse.


Yea, that's exactly how it got it's so-called name........From LL it looks just like snoopy lying on top of his doghouse.............I've actually never heard it called the Citadel until I saw it on a topo
"Cause the Rocky Mountain Way Is better than the way we had" - Joe Walsh

User avatar
Posts: 402
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:10 am
Location: Fort Collins, CO

Re: Nicest Front Range 13er

Postby llamaman » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:58 pm

screefieldstevie wrote:
Doug Shaw wrote:
screefieldstevie wrote:I keep seeing the Citadel name...........is that the same mountain some call "Mt. Snoopy"??????????


I've never heard anybody call it that, and any self-respecting person should never let themselves be caught even uttering the phrase "Mount Snoopy" - that just sounds silly.

But from the right vantage, The Citadel is said to look like Snoopy lying on his doghouse.


Yea, that's exactly how it got it's so-called name........From LL it looks just like snoopy lying on top of his doghouse.............I've actually never heard it called the Citadel until I saw it on a topo


This is useless without a picture!!

User avatar
Posts: 7184
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:23 pm
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: Nicest Front Range 13er

Postby Jim Davies » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:06 pm

snoopy.jpg
The Citadel from Loveland Ski Area
snoopy.jpg (48.38 KiB) Viewed 1534 times
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Posts: 1978
Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 7:44 am

Re: Nicest Front Range 13er

Postby Doug Shaw » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:10 pm

That looks nothing like Snoopy. Snoopy's snout is higher than his belly:

Image

User avatar
Posts: 175
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:47 pm
Location: Keystone, CO

Re: Nicest Front Range 13er

Postby screefieldstevie » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:15 pm

Doug Shaw wrote:That looks nothing like Snoopy. Snoopy's snout is higher than his belly:

Image


Well I'm sorry......I'll have to tell Mother Nature to give it a better go next time #-o
Last edited by screefieldstevie on Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Cause the Rocky Mountain Way Is better than the way we had" - Joe Walsh

Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Denver

Re: Nicest Front Range 13er

Postby highcountryhiker » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:11 pm

Agree with Mark A Steiner regarding the panorama from Square Top Mountain. Another 13er that I think has really great summit views is Mount Parnassus.

Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Denver

Re: Nicest Front Range 13er

Postby highcountryhiker » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:15 pm

Agree with Mark A Steiner regarding the panorama from Square Top Mountain. Another 13er that I think has really great summit views in all directions is Mount Parnassus.

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AlexeyD, mkrier and 7 guests