Nicest Front Range 13er

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
SharonH
14ers: 34 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Nicest Front Range 13er

Post by SharonH »

I just climbed Squaretop today, and it was incredibly pleasant. If you are looking for a challenge, this is not the peak to climb. However, if you want solitude, great views and a great 4-5 hour outing, this is the 13er for you.
kimo
14ers: 32  6 
13ers: 116 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kimo »

I've climbed only eleven 13ers in the Front Range, but all good ones, including Meeker, Edwards, Apache, S.Arapaho, Storm, James, Lady Washington, Audubon, Eva, Paiute, and Old Baldy.

Of those, my favorite is Meeker via the Loft Route. The Loft is a real mountaineering route - exposed, dangerous, exciting, beautiful. Water flows over ramps and slabs, rockfall seems to tumble from the sky, shadows move between cracks and crevices. I felt so small there, so soft, so mortal, so inconsequential. And the world never seemed so big. And scary. It really puts that pending deadline at work in perspective.

Second is Apache. The view of Apache from Lake Isabelle drops me to my knees. Literally. I'm always fiddling with that damn tripod trying to get the shot. Apache is a gorgeous mountain with multiple personalities. Like Meeker, there is no easy way up Apache. Along the trail to Apache, the cascades below the eastern ramparts of Shoshoni are a beautiful spot to stop and take in.

Third is Storm Peak (unranked) when including the ridge traverse to/from the Keyhole. Stay as high on the ridge as your courage allows. The view into Glacier Gorge is mind-numbing. I can't say any more than that about it. It's one of only two 13ers that I've climbed twice. And look forward to climbing again.
llamaman
14ers: 10  1 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (1)

Post by llamaman »

Well, of the 4 that I have done (all in the last 6 months), my favorite was Chiefs Head in RMNP. I did that via Stone Man Pass, which lies between Chiefs Head and McHenrys. Either McHenrys or Pagoda Mountain, which lies between Chiefs Head and Long's, is next up for me.
screefieldstevie
14ers: 19 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by screefieldstevie »

I keep seeing the Citadel name...........is that the same mountain some call "Mt. Snoopy"??????????
"Cause the Rocky Mountain Way Is better than the way we had" - Joe Walsh
Doug Shaw
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Doug Shaw »

screefieldstevie wrote:I keep seeing the Citadel name...........is that the same mountain some call "Mt. Snoopy"??????????
I've never heard anybody call it that, and any self-respecting person should never let themselves be caught even uttering the phrase "Mount Snoopy" - that just sounds silly.

But from the right vantage, The Citadel is said to look like Snoopy lying on his doghouse.
screefieldstevie
Trip Reports (0)

Doug Shaw wrote:
screefieldstevie wrote:I keep seeing the Citadel name...........is that the same mountain some call "Mt. Snoopy"??????????
I've never heard anybody call it that, and any self-respecting person should never let themselves be caught even uttering the phrase "Mount Snoopy" - that just sounds silly.

But from the right vantage, The Citadel is said to look like Snoopy lying on his doghouse.

Yea, that's exactly how it got it's so-called name........From LL it looks just like snoopy lying on top of his doghouse.............I've actually never heard it called the Citadel until I saw it on a topo
llamaman
14ers: 10  1 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by llamaman »

screefieldstevie wrote:
Doug Shaw wrote:

Yea, that's exactly how it got it's so-called name........From LL it looks just like snoopy lying on top of his doghouse.............I've actually never heard it called the Citadel until I saw it on a topo
This is useless without a picture!!
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

The Citadel from Loveland Ski Area
The Citadel from Loveland Ski Area
snoopy.jpg (48.38 KiB) Viewed 1682 times
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Doug Shaw
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Doug Shaw »

That looks nothing like Snoopy. Snoopy's snout is higher than his belly:

screefieldstevie
Trip Reports (0)

Doug Shaw wrote:That looks nothing like Snoopy. Snoopy's snout is higher than his belly:

Well I'm sorry......I'll have to tell Mother Nature to give it a better go next time #-o
Last edited by screefieldstevie on Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
highcountryhiker
14ers: 27 
13ers: 82
Trip Reports (0)

Post by highcountryhiker »

Agree with Mark A Steiner regarding the panorama from Square Top Mountain. Another 13er that I think has really great summit views is Mount Parnassus.
highcountryhiker
14ers: 27 
13ers: 82
Trip Reports (0)

Post by highcountryhiker »

Agree with Mark A Steiner regarding the panorama from Square Top Mountain. Another 13er that I think has really great summit views in all directions is Mount Parnassus.