Horseshoe Mountain Appreciation Thread

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ColoradoGuy
14ers: 22 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Horseshoe Mountain Appreciation Thread

Post by ColoradoGuy »

Wow! Nice photos Benners! :D
elkheart22
14ers: 14 
13ers: 40
Trip Reports (0)

Post by elkheart22 »

One of my favorites!!! =D>
Attachments
horseshoe summit (Small).jpg
horseshoe summit (Small).jpg (36.14 KiB) Viewed 1230 times
Horseshoe4 (Small).jpg
Horseshoe4 (Small).jpg (72.36 KiB) Viewed 1230 times
Lakes below the mountains
Flow into the sea
Like oils applied to canvas,
They permeate through me. --- Jimmy Buffett
Dobsons
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 317 1 11
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Dobsons »

Colorado Guy,

It was great meeting you briefly on Horseshoe. My wife and I also enjoyed the hike tremendously. The flowers on top were awesome, as were the views of the Sawatch. After seeing you on Horseshoe we made our way over to Sheridan and then joined the masses up Sherman. I am always amazed at how I can hike two 13ers and only see one person and then hike a 14er in the same area and see 100+ people. I'll always hold a special place in my heart for the 14ers, but I am beginning to learn that the 13ers are what I really enjoy! Let's keep it quite though. :wink: Hopefully well bump into you again some time.

Corey
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

I climbed this last Thursday from Weston Pass. An awesome day! The south end of the summit cabin has collapsed in recent years - if you look inside (when it's melted out) you'll see the top of a square mine shaft.

On the ridge coming from the south, there were stretches (mainly in the saddles) where the rock turned into a sort of orange-brown shale, and was covered with bright orange lichens and crammed with thriving and blooming tundra flowers. My understanding is that the orange lichens require extra nitrogen, so is that rock some kind of enhanced fertilizer-full stuff (hence the bounteous plant growth)?

A great thread about a great mountain, one of my perennial favorites. The alpine forget-me-nots around the summit of Horseshoe are some of the best anywhere, and they're peaking right about now.
Alpine forget-me-nots, Horseshoe Mountain, July 2008
Alpine forget-me-nots, Horseshoe Mountain, July 2008
ShermanSheridanHorseshoe 024.jpg (109.16 KiB) Viewed 1626 times
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Mark A Steiner
14ers: 3 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark A Steiner »

Marvelous flower shot Jim. This thread continues to get better.

Being a geologist and not a botanist, all I can say is the lichens apparently aid their existence with nutrients directly from the rocks themselves. I understand they secrete a weak acid that slowly breaks down hard shales or arkosic sandstones (sand rocks with quartz feldspar) and build a very primitive soil they can anchor to. Over time (who knows, years, decades, centuries - at 13,900 feet the process is very slow) this process may form a thin soil suitable for the forget-me-nots. Just an educated opinion from not much of an expert. Maybe someone else can amplify on this or for other Mosquito Range peaks.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.
ColoradoGuy
14ers: 22 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ColoradoGuy »

Great discussions here. I finally have photos of my Horseshoe Mountain climb up:

http://coloradoguy.com/horseshoe-mountain/colorado.htm

On Horseshoe, facing NE (or NNE?) toward Mt. Sherman and White Ridge:

-Steve
It's a tough job, but someone has to photograph the mountain. www.MtPrinceton.org
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

Horseshoe.small.JPG
Horseshoe.small.JPG (236.96 KiB) Viewed 1522 times
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

Horseshoe is a great mountain. I climbed it last summer from the Gold Basin http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.ph ... ki=Include and despite the wind it was one of the best days of climbing I had last summer. When climbing from that side you don't get the view of the circ that you have from the Leavick side, but Gold Basin is probably one of the prettiest places I been in the Ten Mile/Mosquito Range.
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
Mark A Steiner
14ers: 3 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark A Steiner »

Hope this thread keeps going. Excellent photography and captions. Thanks to all of you Horseshoe Mountain contributors!
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.
elkheart22
14ers: 14 
13ers: 40
Trip Reports (0)

Post by elkheart22 »

No thread about Horseshoe would be complete without mentioning
the old mining shack near the summit.....
Attachments
u1509p90_080615095108.jpg
u1509p90_080615095108.jpg (91.18 KiB) Viewed 1377 times
Lakes below the mountains
Flow into the sea
Like oils applied to canvas,
They permeate through me. --- Jimmy Buffett
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

The old building on the summit has a mine shaft inside it.
A peek inside the Horseshoe summit house
A peek inside the Horseshoe summit house
shaft.jpg (177.69 KiB) Viewed 1358 times
Along the winding road up from Leavick there is an old mine with this curious "diving board" structure.
Horseshoe "diving board"
Horseshoe "diving board"
diving_board.jpg (188.98 KiB) Viewed 1358 times
This mine also has some nicely decrepit ruins and an old gas truck. Two years ago, I ran into a couple of guys who had just bought the mines here while hiking down the road; they told me the tanker is empty (much to their relief).

The cirque is the outstanding and unique feature, of course.
Horseshoe cirque and lake
Horseshoe cirque and lake
horseshoe_lake.jpg (173.08 KiB) Viewed 1349 times
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
SenadR
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 193 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SenadR »

My impessions from Horseshoe Mt.